Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Memaw1952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Help with daughter in law problem.
    First of all I want to say I do love my daughter in law. My husband and I watch our 3 year old granddaughter Monday through Friday for 8 to 10 hours a day. She is now pregnant with our second grandchild. I know it is none of my business what goes on between her and my son. I also know they are having problems with their marriage.

My concern is that my daughter in law has a male friend who my son knows about. What I struggle with is that when my son works late she will pick up my granddaughter from me then go meet the friend for dinner but tells my granddaughter it's a secret and not to tell daddy because he doesn't like him. I feel it is confusing my granddaughter and she shouldn't keep secrets like that.

When my granddaughter slipped and told me she was going with mommy to see him she covered her mouth and said she was suppose to keep it a secret. I could see on her little face she felt as though she did something wrong and looked like she was about to cry. I told her it was OK and dropped it. This happens to often for me to ignore because of my granddaughter.

How should I handle this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
    Really you can't do anything without betraying your grand daughters confiding trust. If the daughter in law was really trying to hide anything significant I'd think she would meet this guy before picking up your grand daughter.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
    I really applaud your restraint. Too often it's the other side of the coin. You are in a true dilemma, and whatever you do (or don't do) could have repercussions, and I don't think anyone can honestly say what's the best approach.

I'm always in favor of dealing with the most direct relative, not the in-law. In your case it isn't clear how much your son knows, but I would still tell him - JUST events as they happened, not any speculation, not even any opinion about what it's doing to the child, or that she was about to cry. 'She clapped her hand over her mouth and said it was a secret' is really all he needs to hear. Keep it as short as you possibly can. No preamble, no summary, no reasons you are bringing it up, no conclusions, no apology.

Let him handle everything from then on.
    Memaw1952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    i really applaud your restraint. Too often it's the other side of the coin. You are in a true dilemma, and whatever you do (or don't do) could have repercussions, and I don't think anyone can honestly say what's the best approach.

I'm always in favor of dealing with the most direct relative, not the in-law. In your case it isn't clear how much your son knows, but I would still tell him - JUST events as they happened, not any speculation, not even any opinion about what it's doing to the child, or that she was about to cry. 'She clapped her hand over her mouth and said it was a secret' is really all he needs to hear. Keep it as short as you possibly can. No preamble, no summary, no reasons why you are bringing it up, no conclusions, no apology.

Let him handle everything from then on.

I have told him. So do I tell him every time it happens? Like today when my granddaughter told me he had dinner with them last night but that she can't tell daddy because mommy told her not to because daddy doesn't like him?? How would I bring it up?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
    He knows, and that's the end of it.
    We never know the real story behind what we 'see' in front of us. For all you know, your son isn't working late; he's seeing someone else. Maybe he started this and that's why nothing has happened that you know of.
    That's just ONE wild guess. It could be anything. Maybe he gambles and has to work late to pay their savings account back, and this is how they agreed to keep the marriage intact. Maybe she and the 'other man' are working on a business idea. Want me to go on?
    I remember a Law and Order episode where a man killed the man his wife was seeing secretly - turns out he was the planner for a huge anniversary celebration.
    And I have to agree with the above that a woman having a tryst doesn't bring her daughter.

You told him, and that's it.
    When the child says something, just say 'oh well' and change the subject with a hug and a smile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother in law hurt by daughter in law [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 10 mo. Old healthy granddaughter who was born prematurely. My son is her father. I was there at her birth. My husband and I each spent overnights helping and later, full days alone caring for the for the baby when mom went back to work. Other relatives pitched in as well. I took care of...

Help with daughter in law problem [ 75 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 19 month granddaughter that I dearly love and I love to spend time with her. The time I get to spend with her seems to me, is the time left over after everyone else. I have made plans for special outings on several occasions only to have them canceled at the last minute. If...

Daughter-in-law problem [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter-in law is 21 has two sisters, twins, and an older brother. She is very arty and a very good looking girl. My son and her were married some 20 months ago, she was pregnant with their child who was born some 7 months later. She dresses very seductively and either doesn't realise, or...

Daughter in law problem [ 2 Answers ]

Visited my son and daughter in law in another state. They just had a new baby. I had asked them if the dates were okay for them and they replied yes. My husband didn't go due to recent surgery. I was there for 2 1/2 days and 2 nites. My son cooked supper the first night. That same night my daughter...

View more questions Search