Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Sep 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
    I have water coming out from under the front of the house. It's not much. Looks like small rain puddle. I sweep it away and it takes about a day to come back.
    We had this problem a couple of years ago. We replaced the dishwasher and line and the leak stopped. The dishwasher works fine. I just don't know where to look now. We are having problems with the right kitchen sink and spray nozzle leaking. And we also have ice at the bottom of our freezer (frenchdoor bottom freezer/refrigerator/Maytag). The dishwasher and refrigerator are not that old. We have a lot going on right now and I'm super stressed. The kitchen sink/window/dishwasher faces the front of the house very close to wear the water is leaking.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not... one of our bathrooms (left/hot/sink/water faucet) is only a less than a pencil stream of water. And our bathtub faucet is hard to turn off. A normal turn and can still hear it... have to turn it hard with a towel.

Oh and our water heater is leaking too... ugh. I know we are going to have to replace it. Where we live (southeast Texas) the water gets lots of sediment in it. I have forgotten that the water heater should be flushed regularly especially in our area, but the water heater is past it's "life" anyway.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2013, 12:18 PM
    First, look under the sink, refrigerator and dishwasher for an obvious leak. Then, make sure that water is turned off at the house valve, not the street valve. Go to the water meter and see if the little red triangle is moving. If it is, you may have a leak in the supply line to the house or in an individual line-are you on a slab? Wait to see if the water shows up. If the meter doesn't move, turn the house water on and open each valve, one at a time, waiting for a while, to see if the meter moves and water shows up. It could be in a hidden line after the shut off. Could also be in a drain line that is cracked or separated. Trial and error if you can't see an obvious leak.

Sep 19, 2013, 08:20 AM
    Do you think that it's possible that this water could be coming from the leaky water heater and traveling under the house to the other side? The water heater is in the garage next to the wall of the kitchen.. then there are cabinets/dishwasher/sink/and refrigerator on the other side/then wall/foyer/front door, water is coming from the front door entrance area closer to the kitchen window (where the pipes are for the kitchen).
    Do you think it would be okay to try and flush out the water heater?
    Would that make the water heater leak worse/better/no difference?
    I'm just trying to buy as much time as I can for now.
    Husband's department went from hourly to salary and everyone took a pay cut
    I'm trying to find a job.
    Son is in college.
    Money is tight right now...
    We could prob get a Lowe's or home depot card but don't really want to!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
    Tell us more about your water heater. Where is it leaking from? The top connections? Coming out the bottom?
    Flushing the heater would not help the leak. Can you track the water from the heater leak?
    You may have two issues here. The water heater leak and the leak out in front. Let's fix one before we worry about the other. Can you give us more details about the heater leak? Back to you, Tom

Sep 20, 2013, 12:16 PM
    I finally had a chance to go look. Been so busy. I THOUGHT the water was leaking from the bottom, but when I looked just now, there is water leaking from the cold water connection. Not a lot. In fact I had to put my finger on it to make sure that was a drip I was seeing. Call me weird but the water heater is inside a cabinet in the garage and it is a gas water heater.. and anything gas freaks me out, so I didn't look or keep the cabinet open for too long. With it being in the garage there are a few bugs and debris on the top of it etc, and I'm just scared I'm going to get carbon monoxide for some reason.

The vent thing on the top of it is crooked.. I'm honestly scared to touch it. I can get my husband to do whatever needs done... he works a lot and I stay at home so I try to figure a lot of this stuff on my first.. it helps..

*correction.. on my 'own' first.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Is the water heater leaking from the threads or is it leaking from a connection? If having the heater on when you work on it. Shut the gas off. Since we know what's wrong with the heater . Let's move on to the leak in the front. Describe the leak. If it is a pressure leak. It will get worse in time. If it is a drainage leak you will see moisture every time you drain. What do you think you have? To check for a pressure leak. Look at the little pointer on your water meter is a small pointer moving? Let me know. Back to you, Tom

Sep 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
    The water is leaking near where you turn the water off and on.. it's really hard to tell. There is a LOT of corrosion/buildup/looks white and where the copper is close to the valve it is oxidized. It seems so small, but I guess over time it can build up? The puddle flows through the garage to the driveway. I guess once I get that fixed (replace? Thread it?) I can sweep the water out to make sure that is the only thing leaking. Let me get back to you on the "pressure/drainage" I have no idea. Do you mean drain as in use the kitchen sink? Or dishwasher? Sorry I don't know this stuff too well...

Sep 20, 2013, 02:09 PM
    Oh let me clarify.. it's not the valve at the front of the water heater.. it's the valve at the top..

Sep 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
    I don't know if corrosion is the right word.. just looks like lime or calcium buildup all around it.

Sep 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
    OK I'm back. There is only one needle on the water meter... it is red and short and it is not moving.
    Also, it appears that the leak is coming from under neath the water heater. I can't see anywhere else where it might be coming from. I thought it was at the valve thingy but it's somewhere else. I can hear it dripping. :(
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2013, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk View Post
    Oh let me clarify..it's not the valve at the front of the water heater..it's the valve at the top..
    That is the TPV valve.

Sep 22, 2013, 04:46 PM
    When I look where the house meets the concrete outside (right where the kitchen sink/window is) there is dampness from where the kitchen sink starts all the way to the edge of the house where the front door is.. and right there on the outside on the concrete next to the house in front of the front door is the puddle. The puddle is a little bigger than my two bare feet together and it is browinish orangish color.

Sep 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
    OK thank you ma0641

Sep 22, 2013, 06:46 PM
    OK I'm back again you. I figured out the leak under the house is coming from the kitchen sink. There are multiple leaks under there. And we've been having problems with the faucet. So we will have to get new everything. Faucet/sink/drainage things etc. the whole works. At least I know where it's coming from... I'm hoping we can do this ourselves. I NEVER look under the sink and keep nothing in that cabinet. Lesson Learned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Snow on house -water is leaking through ceiling in covered patio, but not in house? [ 2 Answers ]

Water dripping through roof of covered patio in several places-lots of snow on roof- not leaking into house just patio.

Kenmore washer leaking water front/bottom why [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore washer model number 92596100 is leaking water from the front/bottom of machine. How can I fix this? What might be the problem?

NO water in my house but Water out front spigot [ 2 Answers ]

I have water pumping out my front spigot with a lot of air in the hose. But I don't have any water coming out of the faucets in my house. The pressure is there and a sort of mist is coming out of the faucet, but it seems as though there is water in the lines. I am on city water and my neighbor...

View more questions Search