Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackened_19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Paleontologist to ask questions to
    I'm Working On a book series I would like to know If Micro Raptors would have hunted like the Utah raptors and how did they hunt if they did not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
    They were two very different kinds of raptors.

Utahraptor hunted in packs to bring down large prey, much like their Dromaeosaur cousins.

Weapons
    Utahraptor had many extremely dangerous weapons to use in combat. Its first weapon was its brain. Utahraptor was a "master strategist", and had a fairly expanded brain, aproximately as large as that of a modern ratite like a ostrich or an emu, birds fabled for their intelligence. Its second weapon it had were the claws on its hands. It used the claws to slash and rip apart its prey, and also to get to the good stuff once the prey animal had died. Its third combat weapon was its second toe, which was the deadly toe claw. Utahraptor would use its toe claw to stab its prey, possibly in the jugular vein or spine, causing paralysis and/or death. Its teeth in its jaws were also a crucial weapon, used to tear apart and eat a carcass. Its next weapon was crucial in the hunting process. Utahraptor's tail was used for balance when it was bringing down a prey animal, and also when the animal was running.

Diet
    Utahraptor's diet wasn't very complicated. They would hunt anything that was available to them. Due to the fact it mostly lived in a semi-arid climate, it probably still had to drink fresh water. It is possible that Utahraptor scavenged when it couldn't find anything else to eat. Since it was one of the largest carnivores of the early Cretaceous, it could probably scare most other predators away from a carcass that it wanted to feed on.
    Utahraptor - Dinopedia

Microraptor was an opportunistic feeder, hunting the most common prey in both arboreal (trees) and aquatic (lakes, rivers) habitats. (Wikipedia) Both bird and fish skeletons have been found inside microraptor specimens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a paleontologist [ 2 Answers ]

Where can you find fossils of a denedtze?

Ask a paleontologist [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is writing a paper on the coudimundi and she feels certain that it was alive during the Jurasic period and ate TRex eggs yet she can not find any information that confirm this. Do you know the history of the cute little coudimundi? Did it have ansesters who new and ate the eggs of...

Ask the paleontologist [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have something that looks like a tooth. How do I tell if it is a tooth, claw or spik of some sort? Does the inside of each of these look different? What I have has a clear pattern of a pinwheel, lines running from the middle out, very tightly packed. It is about 3 inches long and about an...

Quick questions for a paleontologist! [ 0 Answers ]

Q. How many years of experience do you have in this career? Q. Is there a lot o field work involved in this job? Q. Is it competitive/ difficult to become a Paleontologist? Q. How stable is the job of a Paleontologist?

Ask a paleontologist [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my question: Are the hind legs and feet of a crocodile similar to those of a chicken.. . And is the similarity one way that paleontologists relate the crocodile and the chicken to the dinosaurs (T-rex to be specific)? In other words, if a crocodile were somehow able to stand on...

View more questions Search