Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpsunday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Should I hold or sell HMA
    Should I hold or sell HMA following a $10k loss recently?

I need an opinion from someone knowledgeable like you who has been at this for awhile. I got stuck in a bad trade that went south fast (truism: stocks do slide faster than they glide).
    I bought 3,000 shares of Health Management Associates (HMA) on 7/23/13 at $15.75 per share. It dropped like a lead baloon on 7/30/13 from $14.92 to $13.30 on better than 10x volume following the release of a buyout agreement with a larger, regional competitor. An investor fight ensued as a large holder of the stock, Glenview Capital (a recent hedge fund buyer of substantial J.C. Penney stock shares), flexed it's muscle and led a successful board takeover of the company. In the weeks following the board takeover, there was significant insider selling by several chief members of the HMA senior management team.
    As of yesterday's close at $12.58, my position is just shy of a $10,000 loss in this equity.
    I don't have enough experience to understand the terms of the agreement between HMA and the acquirer, Community Health Systems, Inc. ("CHS") (NYSE:CYH). Under the terms of the agreement, public shareholders of HMA will receive $10.50 in cash and 0.06942 shares of CHS for each share of HMA they own. Based upon CHS's closing stock price of $47.23 on July 29, 2013, HMA shareholders would have received consideration valued at approximately $13.78 per share (a discount of almost 8%). In addition to the cash and stock consideration, HMA shareholders would also receive one Contingent Value Right for each HMA share they own, which could yield additional cash consideration of up to $1.00 per share.
    Potentially as a shareholder, I assume I would receive $14.78 per share when, and if, this agreement is finalized. Also, I surmise that Glenview is working to sweeten the deal for HMA shareholders. Again when, and if, this agreement is finalized as it is currently outlined, I then would only be out approximately $3,000 ( 15.75 per share minus 14.78 per share).
    In the meantime, the stock is in a clear price downtrend. Not really understanding how these agreements work, I'm betwixt selling it now and swallowing the $10k loss or holding until this merger/takeover plays out and absorbing a smaller loss of around $3k.
    One last thing I've noted, the majority of analysts on the Yahoo finance & Google finance sites are rating the HMA as a HOLD; there are a few BUYS, but no SELLS as of last week. The Seeking Alpha article, included in an attachment listing dated HMA news, appears to be positive about holding onto this stock. While I am fairly new to this stock trading game, I do know that tomorrow Seeking Alpha or someone else could run a piece saying something 180 degrees different.
    I know no one has a crystal ball and can accurately predict what will transpire in the short or long term with HMA or any other equity for that matter. I'm a rookie who is just reaching out trying to gain some insight and understanding from someone with experience who has been around the block a few times more than myself.
    Any insights or thoughts would be most appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for your interest and attention to this matter,
    Mitch Sunday
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2013, 08:54 AM
    And you want the advice of anonymous people on the internet to give you investment advice without knowing who they are, what experience they have... and what track record they may or may not have?

You need to hire a Fee based independent Financial advisor. Someone like Rick Edelman. Google the name.

Who doesn't get their money in commissions of any type of securities. Unlike many who do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sell my property and hold part of the mortgage [ 0 Answers ]

I am selling my bar and grill with living quarters. The buyer is asking me to hold 1/3rd of the mortgage. I understand I would receive interest on this. (advantage) I know there is a risk of default. (disadvantage) I would like to learn more about this overall situation. What are the legalities...

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Legal hold on bank account BUT I they put a hold on a larger amount than was in there [ 1 Answers ]

A state marshall put a hold on my account because of a judement but the hold was for more than I had in my account what can I do?

Once you sell a home of a deceased parent do you have to hold money in an account for [ 2 Answers ]

Once you sell estate of deceased parent and pay off all the debit, do you still have to hold money in an account for any period

Can I sell house hold items that where bought before we got married [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Florida, Husband is working & living in LA. I got laid off and can't find a job. He is refusing to pay any of the bills: vehicles, utilities credit cards, or give me any money to live on until I find a job. He has asked for a divorce twice in the last 2 months... and then changed his...

View more questions Search