Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 08:45 AM
    The Bible says that Everyone sins
    It is a Christian point of view that everyone sins.
    Since sin is considered evil does that make everyone evil?
    Peace and kindness,:) :) :)
    Fred (arcura)
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Mar 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Hello arcura,

Did Jesus not say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone' I think when the crowd were about to stone Mary Magdalene to death?

The reason he said this I believe is because no man (or woman) is without sin.

If sin is evil and everyone sins, I can only assume that God & Jesus must be pretty lonely in Heaven as presumably no sinner can enter the Kingdom of God and as we all sin none of us can go to Heaven.

Like most things in the Bible, this is open to interpretation. I personally believe it is the degree in which we sin, the frequency and harm we do when we sin. Quite probably the pleasure we get from committing those sins are also taken into account.

I also believe that, according to the Bible, confessing your sins and asking forgiveness for the sins we have committed allows us entry into Heaven. However I am not so sure about that. Does this mean that before Hitler took his life and if he asked to be forgiven for the evil acts he was responsible for, and what he was about to do (commit suicide) he was forgiven and allowed to enter Heaven.

I am afraid I hope not.

This of course only my thoughts on your question.

I hope they make sense.

Cy
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
    poseidon,
    I understand what you are saying.
    I believe that God will be the judge of who goes to heaven and who does not.
    I also believe that heaven is not a lonely place now because I believe there are many thousands saints there already.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Of course we are evil... we are man. We would all be damned to Hell if it weren't for Jesus Christ.

However, I believe it is said that there is no sin greater than another. A sin is a sin is a sin. It is not "okay" to commit certain sins just not others. You don't need more "hail Mary's" because the sin you committed what greater than the last or the next.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 28, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    Of course we are evil... we are man. We would all be damned to Hell if it weren't for Jesus Christ.

However, I believe it is said that there is no sin greater than another. A sin is a sin is a sin. It is not "okay" to commit certain sins just not others. You dont need more "hail Mary's" because the sin you committed what greater than the last or the next.
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but I wonder about 1John 5 16-17. Witch talks about a sin that is unto death and a sin that is not unto death. I would say, yes it is never okay to commit sin however; it seems that some sins can do even greater damage to you relationship with God.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 31, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but I wonder about 1John 5 16-17. Witch talks about a sin that is unto death and a sin that is not unto death. I would say, yes it is never okay to commit sin however; it seems that some sins can do even greater damage to you relationship with God.
    I don't believe in the mortal/venial sin theology... If this is what you actually are describing from the 1John passage.
    I see the "sin that does not lead to death" as: Someone or something we should pray for - ex. A brother/sister may be sinning occasionally but you pray for them to be repentant -& they are.
    Sin that leads to death is continuous unrepentant sin from a believer also- But God, to stop the person from sinning, takes his life.(physical life)

That's all I wanted to answer now- Have a good evening.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Yes, everyone is evil - that's why you should not make friends or marry as they are all evil.
    Kriscool Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2007, 09:22 PM
    I believe that we are evil in ways. I don't believe that we are EVIL.. but believe that we make poor choices and sometimes cause evil things. So Yes and No. This is a really hard question.

Here is a good example. My brother has a bb gun and about 1 year ago shot at the ground about 2 feet from me. We said he made a stupid choice, but he is not stupid. He has A's and B's on his report card.

Kriscool
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Kriscool,
    You have made a good point.
    I agree that mankind is not evil even though men and women do evil things from time to time.
    If we WERE evil through and through I think God would not be willing to save our souls.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcira)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 06:06 AM
    This is an interesting post and I have read through everyone's responses. If you don't mind arcura, I would like to piggyback some queries to extend the discussion. These thoughts have always bothered me regarding men and sin.

I think everyone is in agreement that all men (women) sin. The degrees to which we sin are not really the issue for me. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this:

If we all sin, and we are all made in God's image, then it would stand to reason that he sins (or sinned) too. How do we reconcile that? Is that possibly how our souls are able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven because no one is without sin?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    Since sin is considered evil does that make everyone evil?
    I don't believe that sin and evil are equal at all.

Let's look at the 7 deadly sins. Although each of them may drive someone to do evil things, I don't think any of them in moderation on their own is evil, however some do believe they are all sinful.

Wrath, Lust, Greed, Envy, Pride, Gluttony and Sloth. None of these are evil on their own. They do not hurt anyone, they do not take advantage of anyone, They are just pure emotions. The things that these sins may drive someone to do however, could be evil.

Discuss?
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 3, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Capuchin,
    I agree for the most part that those sins you mention seem less harmful than what they can berth into. But you know that still the Bible calls sin evil. We don't sin in a vacuum & a lot of times others are affected by the consequences of our sin. Right you are, in our lust (sin) one can actually harm another & give them an STD; a sin of gluttony can have harmful effects to others by eating all the food & letting someone else starve.
    While there are six things that the Lord hates, seven are detestable to him:
    haughty eyes, lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devise wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissention among brothers. (Proverbs6:16-19)
    So, It isn't that we are evil per se, it is the action(sin) that is evil since we all have free will. Now depending on the outcome of those actions- full-blown sins can look like very evil deeds. Whether the person is now considered evil-yes, I believe that there is an extreme where a person is controlled by Satan, to do his will and they are evil.
    LITLK Posts: 7, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2007, 09:17 AM
    All of us sin.
    However God forgave us all from our sins before we ever made them.
    All we must do is except Jesus Christ as our savior, and ask for forgiveness of our sins and we will be forgiven. That's it, really simple huh! Well that's my belief.
    Missexpert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 09:22 AM
    No ,it does not make you evil . When you sin its absolutely normal unless its premeditated sin which is usually thought about over and over and again. If you sin and you are sincerely sorry and want forgiveness you go and ask God to forgive you if you really mean it. This sometimes could take a lot because if you are in bondage of something those walls need to be torn down.

Example:Say you go out to a club and you drink, smoke or whatever you then go home and realize that you have done wrong in Gods eye.You ask for forgiveness and he forgives you.The rest of the weekends for the entire month you find yourself still going to this place or doing whatever it is you do .God going to wash his hands clean with you. Now it takes a lot of time for that to occur because of time in Gods eye.
    *Let me know if you want to understand a little deeper.*
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
    RubyPitbull,
    I think you missed the point that God made man in His image BEFORE man fell into sin.
    Man used his "free will" to disobey God.
    God can not disobey Himself.
    Peace ans kindness,:) :) :)
    Fred (arcura)
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
    LOL, now you tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Yes, everyone is evil - that's why you should not make friends or marry as they are all evil.
    cocoagirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
    RubyPitBull said "If we all sin, and we are all made in God's image, then it would stand to reason that he sins (or sinned) too. How do we reconcile that? Is that possibly how our souls are able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven because no one is without sin?"

Genesis 1:27 says, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." The word "image" in Gen. 1:27 means "likeness, resemblance." This does not mean that we are clones of God. Deuteronomy 4:35 states, "You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other." Genesis 1:27 is stated by God prior to the fall of man. Genesis 2:17 says, "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." God is clear here in stating that sinning will result in spiritual death. When Adam and Eve sinned, they felt exposed & ashamed which resulted in the spiritual death. Their relationship with Father was tarnished and would not be the same anymore. The first sin has passed on to us and future generations. God gave Adam and Eve a choice, but they chose to be deceived by Satan. We are not any different today. But God provided a way out by offering a perfect and sinless Lamb to replace our sins. God made it simple for us--Follow the ten commandments and accept that Jesus paid our debts on the cross and offers salvation for free. God desires to spend eternity with us, because He loves us to the infinite degree.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
    cocoagirl,
    The point is that God made man in His image BEFORE man fell into sin by disobeying God.
    God cannot disobey Himself.
    Therefore there is no foundation to the thought that God sins.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    nasar Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Compare to a sky without clouds represents our basicnature- clean heart a source of all goodthings, the time a person stands with god. He can express his soul through spiritual actvitivities.otherwise dim. It totally depend on the situation , choosing jesus or satan.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 02:08 PM
    nasar,
    Yes it does!
    Peace and kindness,
    arcura (Fred)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Is the Bible divine? [ 10 Answers ]

Just for my curiosity, What is it that makes the Bible the divine word of GOD? As it was written by men (many) how do we know it is the word of GOD? What credibility do the man who wrote it have? Is this the only word of God?

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible study [ 8 Answers ]

How to do a bible study? I am a teen and I want to do a bible study.Please give me some guidance on that

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search