Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smileygrl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Hit and left holding the damage
    My car was hit while parked at work. We chose not to involve our insurance,now they are refusing to pay the damages. When I asked for there insurance info. They claimed to of already contacted there insurance company and had been informed to no longer talk to me. They said they were told not to tell me anything that they would contact me. Is that OK not telling me there insurance info?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
    They don't have to tell you if they don't want to, so just sue them, depending on the amount, most likely small claims court,
    Then they will most likely be glad to furnish insurance sonce they have to go to court.

Also you can just merely turn it over to your insurance, and they pay you, and then sue the other party.

Most likely they don't have insurance.
    smileygrl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 10:03 AM
    I thank you so much for takeing the time to help me! I only had PI/PD (stupid me!), I am going to look into the small claims. Thanks again Smileygrl
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I don't know where you come from, but in NY I believe its illegal to refuse to provide insurance info in case of an accident. I know its illegal not to have your insurance card with you. If you are involved in an accident and the other party refuses to provide insurance info, then call the police.

Of course that's too late for you. As I understand it, you agreed not to involve insurance (a dumb move on your part if your car was parked since they are fully at fault). Now they are refusing to pay. They are lying if they say their insurance company told them not to give you the insurance info. Yes, their company might have told them not to talk to you, but what they should have said is we can't talk to you, you have to talk to our insurance and here is the info. I suspect that you got a repair estimate that was more than they thought so they decided to put in a claim.

So I would go back to them and tell them you would be happy to deal with the insurance company, just give me the carrier, policy number and adjuster contact info and I'll talk to them directly.

If they refuse to give you the insurance info, do you have their license number? If so, I would go to your local police and explain the circumstances, they may be able to provide that info.

Note: I would pursue this first before going the small claims route. Again, if they hit a parked car their insurance is fully responsible under the liability portion of their policy. A reputable insurance company would simply tell you to bring your car into one of their claims adjuster, who will estimate the damage and write out a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

Holding down the flusher? [ 1 Answers ]

We have to hold down the handle on the toilet to get it to flush all the way and sometimes there are still things left at the bottom. Any idea on what we can do to make it flush without holding the handle, and what can I do about the leftovers? Help please.

401k loan won't rollover left holding the bag! [ 1 Answers ]

My company recently merged with another and now I have two different 401k plans. The company is planning on merging the plans for the employees early 07. I would like to take a loan out of the plan I have had established the longest but will not have paid it back completely by the time the plans...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

View more questions Search