Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    network_jon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:22 AM
    1990 Honda Civic DX Auto Trans Idle Issue
    I just got allot of work done on my Honda (new battery, tune-up, oil change, frans flush, radiator flush, ect). The car sat for a while with a broken axel, and drum. All this work is complete, but my question is this.

What would cause the idle to stick (I think between 1.5K and 2k.. I have no tach). When I start it, it seems a little high, but the first time I give it gas, it sticks at a higher prm. I have been told many things (computer needs re-training, fuel deposites, or an idle air control valve), can anyone give me any insite?

Thanks
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by network_jon
    I just got allot of work done on my Honda (new battery, tune-up, oil change, frans flush, radiator flush, ect). The car sat for a while with a broken axel, and drum. All this work is complete, but my question is this.

What would cause the idle to stick (I think between 1.5K and 2k..i have no tach). When I start it, it seems a little high, but the first time I give it gas, it sticks at a higher prm. I have been told many things (computer needs re-training, fuel deposites, or an idle air control valve), can anyone give me any insite?

Thanks
    Check your throttle cable as it may be too tight. There should be some deflection in the cable at the throttle body. The cable / bracket may have gotten bent during your "servicing". If there was another problem, like a vacuum leak or bad idle control valve, the idle would hunt up and down as the ECU tries to compensate. Be sure your throttle cable is properly routed - it comes out near the brake master cylinder and lays on top of the valve cover. I think there are 2 or 3 brackets that hold it in place.
    davetip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
    I would look at the electrical plug on drivers fender I had similar problem would not idle properly and different instraments were acting up and I took it to honda and it was the plug it got moisture in it and corrodid they cleaned I problem whet away
    abbyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
    Haviing the same problem hi idle it same when I pull back the throttle cable its OK but go back when start again and change transmission gear

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic high idle [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1991 civic and I can't get it smogged because the idle won't go below 2000 rpm until it warms up then it surges. Any ideas what the problem could be?

94 civic auto trans problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I don't know much about cars. I recently bought a 94 honda civic dx with automatic transmission, it has 44,000 miles but I don't believe those. I'm having issues speeding up and when gears change I get a kick. I feel that something is definitely wrong with the transmission. Any ideas what in...

91 Honda Civic high idle [ 5 Answers ]

91 Honda Civic, 1.5l, remains at high idle, 1000-1500 until manually turning off by depressing pedal. Once engine rev'ed over about 1500 does it again. Will not return to low idle on it's own. Does not surge like vac hose off. No engine code. If I disconnect the temp sensor at bottom of radiator...

Honda civic idle trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this forum but id like to ask some question My civic is a 2000 model vtec 1.6 (manual tansmission) and has some idling problem It stalls if the engine is cold when I drive it. The only time it stall when I shift it into neutral, but when its hot its OK. I never had this kind of...

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search