Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ToxicRocker View Post
    I see that. I think I can handle my parents for a little bit longer. The more knowledge I have of this, the more I can re-think things.
    Just for a point of reference... It was a few years after I graduated college before I could afford my own place... (like 8 years). And I was making a lot more than minimum wage with that degree.

I'm only pointing this out because few people your age really fully grasp this. Your standard of living will take a big drop for some years to come as you are able to move up the ladder into better jobs and get raises based on gained experience.

Nobody graduates High school... and gets a job and lives like they have been accustomed to in even a couple years. Its been decades since that was possible.

Knowing this, as you say, will help you deal with things. Not sure what I mean?. how many of your friends talk about what they are going to do when they move out on their own? If after paying for everything they have enough left to do even 1% of it... I'd be surprised.
    It really is way different than you imagine... its a lot harder... and shall I say harsher.

The more you know.. the better prepared you will be when the time comes.
    ToxicRocker Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Just for a point of reference....It was a few years after I graduated college before I could afford my own place....(like 8 years). And I was making a lot more than minimum wage with that degree.

I'm only pointing this out because few people your age really fully grasp this. Your standard of living will take a big drop for some years to come as you are able to move up the ladder into better jobs and get raises based on gained experience.

Nobody graduates High school....and gets a job and lives like they have been accustomed to in even a couple years. Its been decades since that was possible.

Knowing this, as you say, will help you deal with things. Not sure what I mean?...how many of your friends talk about what they are going to do when they move out on their own? If after paying for everything they have enough left to do even 1% of it...I'd be surprised.
    It really is way different than you imagine....its a lot harder....and shall I say harsher.

The more you know..the better prepared you will be when the time comes.
    My friends don't have a similar mind set like mine. I'm more serious when it comes to thinking about my future. I do debate with myself whether it's a good idea to leave home early or not. Yet, I am prepared with how hard life will be in a few years. How I imagine life isn't all sunshine and lollipops. It's just going to be difficult till you're actually used to it. I'm aware and prepared. Not meaning I'm ready to completely live on my own at a young age but ready to face what's coming to me in a few years.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2013, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ToxicRocker View Post
    My friends don't have a similar mind set like mine. I'm more serious when it comes to thinking about my future. I do debate with myself whether it's a good idea to leave home early or not. Yet, I am prepared with how hard life will be in a few years. How I imagine life isn't all sunshine and lollipops. It's just going to be difficult till you're actually used to it. I'm aware and prepared. Not meaning I'm ready to completely live on my own at a young age but ready to face what's coming to me in a few years.
    Then you won't be in for the shock they are... not as much anyway.

In the real world... if you don't have money for rent.. they evict you, don't pay your utilities.. they turn them off... don't have money for groceries... you don't eat... or find a soup kitchen..

Nobody will be cutting you a break... when you have $1,000 in bills that need paid now... and you only have $900. Things are going to get rough.

Trust me... I spent a year eating nothing but cheap ramen noodles for lunch (that I buoght several cases of so I could get them for $0.10 each) because I had to have gas to get to work... That was almost 30 years ago... to this day... I almost gag when I think of Ramen noodles.
    ToxicRocker Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Then you won't be in for the shock they are...not as much anyway.

In the real world....if you don't have money for rent..they evict you, don't pay your utilities..they turn them off....don't have money for groceries....you don't eat...or find a soup kitchen..

Nobody will be cutting you a break... when you have $1,000 in bills that need paid now...and you only have $900. Things are going to get rough.

Trust me...I spent a year eating nothing but cheap ramen noodles for lunch (that I buoght several cases of so I could get them for $0.10 each) because I had to have gas to get to work....That was almost 30 years ago...to this day...I almost gag when I think of Ramen noodles.
    I wouldn't blame you for gagging. I go to an Asian School and usually the school store would sell Ramen noodles and the whole cafeteria would smell like it. It gets annoying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Issues with my family [ 49 Answers ]

Entire story merged My girlfriend and I have been going out for about a year now. She's black, I'm white. In September we were on a mission trip to Chicago and some one an off color comment. I mean in all retrospect it just made her fell uncomfortable. Any way it seems like every time she talks...

Family issues [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have been married for 13 years, have 2 children, and am an education professional. In Feb, my MIL, my husband, kids, his aunt, uncle, cousins, and their son flew to Disney to have a family vacation together, and with husband's brother. We were all excited, not only to go to Disney, but...

!family issues! [ 7 Answers ]

I lives with my b.f and his family for almost 3 years now that I am pregnant they decided to kick me out but my b.f is with me 100% he has this sister who is 22 and I'm only 17 she has been stealing my clothes underware and bra's... and also the mother I have been giving her money weekly is there...

Family issues [ 5 Answers ]

Is It Normal For Family To Give You Up To Children`s Ade And Now That I Am 20 And Have My First Apparment They Want Something To Do With Me What Does That Mean ::

View more questions Search