Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrea_henry57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 02:20 PM
    Child last name change
    I would like to change my daughters last name to my maiden name. Her biological father and I were never married shortly after she was born he was sent to prison for 20 years. That was almost 15 years ago neither my daughter nor myself has had any contact with him since the day he was arrested nor do I want to. It hurts both of us to have to look at his last name.
    andrea_henry57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Child last name change
    The father of my child is doing life in prison however he is on her birth certificate so she now has to use his last name how do I fix this ?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Just because he's on the birth cert doesn't mean the child has to have his surname. You can use yours without any problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2013, 05:19 PM
    A person can use any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. However, certain groups, like schools will require a legal name for registration at least. So while teachers can be instructed to address her as Jane Doe, the school's records will show her as Jane Smith.

If you want her name changed, you have to go to Family Court and apply for a legal name change. With the father in jail, this may not be difficult to get a court to approve.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
    Is your ex or has he been declared the legal father of the child? If so then you may have to seek permission from him for a name change. 15 years is a very long time to have waited and school records as well as health records have been established.

Its not impossible to do but it may take some doing to get it done.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Not that it directly makes any difference as far as your question is concerned, but why did you first say that the father was sentenced to 20 years and then that he was sentenced to life imprisonment?

The exact requirements, including what sort of notice of a name-change application you must give to her father, are going to depend on the law of whatever state or country it is in which you and your daughter reside.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Not that it directly makes any difference as far as your question is concerned, but why did you first say that the father was sentenced to 20 years and then that he was sentenced to life inprisonment?

The exact requirements, including what sort of notice of a name-change application you must give to her father, are going to depend on the law of whatever state or country it is in which you and your daugher reside.
    Sidebar(The OP made 2 posts. They have been merged.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2013, 06:17 PM
    I answered the second question, didn't see the first question. Waiting 15 years could make a difference. If the name bothered you so much why wait so long?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can he change my child's name? [ 0 Answers ]

I had a son with a man I was seeing for about a year. I told him when we met that I was married but we haven't been able to afford a divorce yet and that him and I remain good friends. He lived in a different state and everything. Time goes on and I fell pregnant. When I was pregnant I asked him...

Do we have to change/modify child support if child changes home? [ 4 Answers ]

If both parents agree to change custody arrangements for the best interests of the child but don't want to stop or change child support is that possible? Child is having problems at home Mother and father think they want to try changing the child's home to the fathers. Mother and father don't...

Change child's name [ 1 Answers ]

If I have full custody of my child and his biodad does not ever have contact with him and my husband my child's stepdad wants to get his name changed to ours.. what do I need to do?

Change my child's last name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter who has her biological father's last name, although he did not sign the birth certificate no acknowledge paternity in the courts. He does not nor has he ever paid any child support. He has no contact what so ever with her. The only father she knows is my new husband...

View more questions Search