Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joblot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 PM
    Permanently removing a radiator; can I cap off flow and return feeds to radiator?
    I am permanently removing a radiator and want to know if I can just cap off the flow and return feeds to the radiator or do I need to connect the two together to continue the flow of the system. I believe it's the last radiator in the system to warm up. There is just one 10mm microbore pipe attached to each end, one with a TRV. Is there also a preferred point at which to cap them off, ( I only ask as I have better access at one end than the other so wish to cap them off at the same point and remove the remaining pipework that goes to the other end of the rad.)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2013, 04:53 AM
    On any system I have seen... you will need to connect them together or flow to every other radiator on the string will be stopped as well. Visialize that old trainset you had as a kid... take a piece of track out and what happened? Everythig stops. Because the loop is broken.

But you need to see how yours is plumbed... I'm going to assume that radiator was not in a loop by itself.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 05:19 AM
    If your heat system piping is a monoflo piped system (one direction loop with monoflo tee branches to each radiator) then you can simply cap the lines.

If your heat system piping is a continuous loop as suggested by Smoothy then yeah, you need to attach the two pipes to let the loop continue.

Mark
    joblot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 11:59 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I also collared a plumbing engineer in his shop and he said I can just cap them off. It occurred to me that if I can turn off the radiator using the valves either end and the system still functions then that's a little bit like capping the pipes off,(albeit a temporary way!). Massplumber, with a continuous loop system would you be able to isolate individual radiators with valves or would that stop the flow also? Just triple checking before I slice and dice!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2013, 06:50 AM
    It depends on how the continuous loop system was piped, so hard to say exactly here.

Some continuous loop systems would definitely be interrupted if you capped off a line, and other loop systems could have monoflo tee fittings installed and then capping angle valves would be fine.

I think you either need to chase the pipes out or just cap the lines and test the system.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing radiator [ 3 Answers ]

I need to remove a radiator in our toilet to plaster behind it I no the process in removing radiator but when I loosen both nuts there is no giv in the pipes and nuts just lock back onto thread any advice would be grateful thanks in advance.

2002 pontiac aztek radiator cap [ 1 Answers ]

Steam around radiator cap. Upper hose hard always. Not running hot .smell coolant always. 2002 pontiac aztec.

I just bought a car. When I took the radiator cap off, it was full of oil... [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a car and when checking the fluids took off the radiator cap it was full of oil and no coolant I need to know if a new radiator and flush will save the motor?

01 celica overheating already change the reservoir tank and radiator cap [ 2 Answers ]

01 celica overheating already change the reservoir tank and radiator cap but when I open the radiotor cap I little to let the pressure out it goes back to normal for 2 to 3 miles before. I have to do the same procedure again

Hub or radiator cap [ 1 Answers ]

Is this a hub cap or a radiator cap and what year is there a place to sell them

View more questions Search