Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ryanau2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
    1 1/2 year old Rheem not cooling well
    I have a 1 1/2 year old rheem 13pjl36a01 3 ton 13 seer, and it runs all the time. I set the thermostat to 75 during the day and when I get home, the temp is 78. I then set it to 73, and it usually doesn't reach that temp until 11:00 pm. Ay ideas what could be wrong? My home is 1680 sq ft, so I thought this was the right size unit.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
    If it worked well last year, the outdoor temps are similar, & there haven't been any changes in your lifestyle or shading on the house, something has obviously changed. I would suggest calling the installing contractor & have them take a look.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
    One clue is it does cool at night. Could be solar load overcoming BTU capacity. Trees shading house? Good windows and R30 insulation in attic? Lots of windows on South and West side of house. What is daily high temp? Some parts of country are experiencing a "late summer "-92 in Minneapolis! Right now, 11PM, it is 74 in Minneapolis and 72 in Atlanta
    Ryanau2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 09:30 PM
    Thank you for the response. Yes, it cools at night. I live in Mobile, AL and it is 77 degrees right now. Highs are in low 90s, and there is little shade on the west side of the house, but there are large windows on that side. It has run non stop since I arrived at home 5:00 and has gone from 78 degrees to 74 degrees currently. Last night, I sprayed the outside unit to clear any possible debris/dirt from the coils, but it has not seemed to have made a difference. Another thing is the attic ventilation fan no longer works. The motor must have burned out late last summer... could that be the culprit?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
    The attic fan could certainly have an influence on the A/C. Do all you can to reduce the solar heating through those west windows. Blinds, shades, curtains, & awnings all help. If those west facing windows are on the back of the house, reflective film is pretty effective. Most people don't want it on front facing windows. If I had my way, my place would be dark as a cave in the summer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem heat pump not cooling? [ 5 Answers ]

My rheem heat pump is working but not cooling or heating properly??

Rheem: Blower motor not shutting off after heating/cooling cycle. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roof top Heating/AC unit that works fine except part of the time the blower motor keeps going after the AC or furnace shut off at the right temp:mad:. Blower Motor Relay? That's my choice but not sure. This model of Rheem is about 15-18 years old and can't find any info on it to replace...

Rheem sealed AC unit - fan and cooling problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3.5 ton Rheem A/C and heat sealed unit that is 9 years old. Recently noticed that no matter what temperature we set thermostat for it never gets cooler than 79 yet the electric bill has doubled since last month when it was working properly. When the programmable thermostat is on...

Rheem Split Unit A/C not cooling properly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem split unit heater / ac RGDG-075AUER. It appear to be from 1994 based upon the serial number CB5D302-F1994-1196. The unit does not provide proper cooling for my townhome. When the AC is turned on it will initially blow cool air, but eventually the air appears warmer as if only a fan...

View more questions Search