Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babi_gurl Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
    Calculating vectors
    Hey I got a question that I am stuck with and need some help on it
    A boat that is capable of travelling at 4.5km/hr in still water is travelling on a river whose current is 1.5jm/h East.
    Find the time it takes for the boat to travel 3.0km downstream relative to the shore. And
    The time the boat takes to travel 3.0 km upstream against the current

Thanks
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 01:05 AM
    Okay well all you do is add the vectors!

Lets say that the direction of motion in the same direction as the current is positive.

In the first case, travelling downstream, the velocity is 4.5km/hr for the boat and 1.5km/hr for the current, these are both positive because they are both in the same direction as the current, like we defined above, this adds to give 6km/hr total velocity. Now you can work out the time taken in this case.

In the second case, the boat's speed is -4.5km/hr (4.5km/hr in the direction opposite to the current's direction, this is why it is negative) and the current's speed is 1.5km/hr (positive because it is in the direction of the current). These add to give a velocity of -3km/hr, so this is 3km/hr upstream. Now you can work out the time this takes to go upstream.

I hope this helped you to understand the basics of vector addition. And helps you to see how useful vectors are for forces in different directions.
    When we define the motion in one direction as positive at the beginning, it doesn't matter which direction we choose, I could have chosen the current's direction as negative, and got different answers, but the answers would have the same meaning if you refer back to the same defined system. Normally you choose the system to be easier to interpret in your mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Given vectors u=-i-5j and v=-2i+7j, find 9u-8v [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem: given vectors u=-i-5j and v=-2i+7j, find 9u-8v I for the most part have been getting the vector questions but this one has me stumped. Should I multiply 9(-1-5) and 8(-2+7). Then subtract the two of them. I have tried doing that and the answer does not come up. Any...

Finding the magnitude of vectors [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: does anyone know how to find the magnitude of a vector because I can add and subtract them and all that stuff but I can not find the magnitude and the heading... so if someone could help me that would be nice!:confused:

Calculating vectors [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I'm having trouble with two questions regarding vectors. I'm not asking for solutions-just a step in the right direction. 1)A skater glides along a circular path of radius 4.90m. a)if he coasta around one half of the circle, find the magnitude of the displacement vector b)find how...

Vectors (For Computer Graphics) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Before I hit Google for what I needed I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations. I went to an interview for a job yesterday and they sprung a high level maths test on me. Unfortunately, the first question I had never seen the items in the question before (something about if...

View more questions Search