Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cristy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 07:22 PM
    Lights in one room dimming after lightning storm
    Hello there. A couple months ago we had a pretty bad electrical storm. At one point there was a loud boom of thunder and our smoke detectors beeped a couple times and I felt a surge in my cell phone that I happened to have plugged in and holding in my hand at the time.

A cable box in one of the upstairs bedrooms stopped working, however, everything else in the house seemed fine. I have noticed though the lights (overhead light and lamp) in that one room only, dimming and getting bright again pretty often after the storm (this never happened before but my husband kept telling me it was probably just a coincidence with two bad lightbulbs). Then yesterday the light stopped working all together... I went up today to replace the light bulb, but the light is working again.

Obviously this is an issue, but do I call the power company to take a look outside or an electrical contractor to look inside? Is it even possible that it's something outside since it's only happening in the one room or does it seem like there is a short somewhere in that room caused by lightening possibly hitting the house?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... thank you!
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Did you try replacing the bulb? It seems to me that you have one that is on it's last days. If you take it out and shake it around a little, then put it back, I'll bet it won't work.

The odds that the storm caused the problem are nil.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2013, 05:17 AM
    For whatever reason, you have what sounds like a loose or failing splice or connection... recommend calling an electrician.
    Cristy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
    Pelus, I have it limited now to just the overhead light/ceiling fan (I thought that the issue was also with an outlet where a lamp was plugged in, but it turns out the lamp wasn't plugged in correctly, so that's fine now). Anyway, I just tried changing the light bulb in the ceiling fan and it started making this light crackling sound. I obviously turned it off and will need to call an electrician.
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Ah... well then, there are the gremlins that ruin fixtures. Sorry that it will cost you some, but at least you'll have your light again. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lights dime and brighten after storm with lightning [ 3 Answers ]

After a recent electrical storm, I noticed that throughout the house, my lights will dim and brighten several times, especially when something new is plugged in. I am a lttle concerned that there may have been a surge and something is damaged. All appliances are currently working, no burning odor...

Dimming the lights [ 1 Answers ]

[Hello there, I live in an older house and I have a lotof things plugged into the out lets, when my refrigeratror comes on it dims the kitchen lights, and when I use the toaster it dims the lights in the kitchen, what can be done to fix this problem?Also if I am using the toaster I can't use the...

Lights dimming periodically [ 2 Answers ]

I went to do a service call for a local restaurant that complained about their lights dimming when periodically throughout the day. I started at the panel and found that the feeder wires were supplying very close to 120 volts on every phase to ground and nuetral and 205-206 volts between phases. ...

Lights dimming [ 1 Answers ]

What should I look for when troubleshooting lights that dim. When a contractor plugs in paint sprayer or air compressor it causes the lights to dim in the hallway. Too many circuits on that breaker? Or ---- Guy

Lights on one circuit keep dimming [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a home built in the 40's. It has the old cloth covered wiring, new panel and breakers (6 years old). I have one circuit (which is very much overloaded) that never had a problem before (as long as the blow dryer wasn't on with anything else). I recently replaced a switch in...

View more questions Search