Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
    How does IRS know about gifts?
    If I wanted to help a family member who is going through a difficult financial time and give monetary gifts, how would this be found out? For example, if I gave my sister $5,000 one month and then a few months later, let's say, $4,000 and a few months later, another check. Let's say, it totals more than $13,000 in one year. How does the IRS find out about this? Do banks report checks that go over a certain amount?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 9, 2013, 04:07 PM
    The IRS won't find out unless they do an audit of either one of you.
    Banks report CASH, actual green cash, 10K and up.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 04:23 PM
    But there are other ways to find out, such as lifestyle audits.

Understand that even though you give MORE than $13,000, you need only FILE a gift tax return.

Due to the Unified Credit, you will not actually PAY any gift taxes until you exhaust the credit, which does not happen until the git amount exceeds about $2 MILLION.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 9, 2013, 05:25 PM
    (14K this year, 2013)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Noted

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gifts [ 15 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm working at an elementary school for a summer camp program, and I'm an instructor/counselor. This is my 1st time actually working with kids (and I just turned 20 during this job this summer). This has been a fun job and I feel like I bonded with a few. If I were to get one or a couple...

Gifts from above [ 8 Answers ]

Being able to hear and see in Spirit while awake or in prayer, could this be a gift , and what kind of gift would it be?:D also sometimes when meeting people I can feel their different pains in their life. And I don't even know them, what kind of gift could this be. Also sometimes knowing what...

What do men like as gifts? [ 5 Answers ]

He always buys me stuff. Like flowers, fruits, cakes, make up and what ever I want him to within reason. Most of the time I do tell him I don't want anything but he might get something anyway. What should I get him? He likes aftershave yes. I was going to buy hiom one butu he brought it...

Gifts from ex's family? [ 10 Answers ]

So... if you've read my post, you'll know my situation. In a nutshell: Ex girlfriend of 3 years just broke up with me 2 weeks ago... found out she's dating a new guy... about 3 days after we broke up. OK. I'm dealing with that. The thing is, she hasn't told any of her family members that we...

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

View more questions Search