Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2013, 11:25 AM
    Should I meet this man?
    I been chatting to a man on a mobile dating site and so far we have everything in common. The problem is he is moving way too fast and we been chatting only for 5 days. He already called me my love, future wife and says he will show me love. He says he believes in love at first sight but I don't. I did tell I want to I want to take things slow and that he making me uncomfortable. So far he has stopped and I'm a bit skeptical about him and I do not want to get hurt like I did in the past.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Sounds like either a scam or someone looking for a quick, temporary physical relationship.. or worse. You can NEVER really know someone when communicating by chat/email only; it's too easy to put on a personality. Meeting someone face to face is the only way. That way you can see if they really are who they portent to be.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
    A few things come to mind...

Player
    Con Artist
    Liar
    Broke
    Many women on the side
    Etc, etc, etc.

It is easy to say those things on the internet. He is hoping to play with your emotions so that he can have access to your purse strings. Be very cautious on everything and anything. If I heard those things he was saying right off the bat I would think he has bad motives planned and usually those involve getting to your monies.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Does he live in the same country? Sounds like either a scammrr or someone you won't be able to get rid of easily.

Sep 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Does he live in the same country? Sounds like either a scammrr or someone you won't be able to get rid of easily.
    Yeah he lives near by me. He works and told me where her works not the name of the place but the street.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 11:47 AM
    I would just be cautious. Someone that is willing to start talking like that after only 5 days may have other ideas in mind. I mean, it is possible that he could just suddenly be infatuated but it is also just as likely that he is not who he appears... do you know what I am saying? I think you do because you were smart enough to ask about this.

Take it slow like you're doing and see what happens with it... but just be careful along the way.

Sep 9, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    A few things come to mind...

Player
    Con Artist
    Liar
    Broke
    Many women on the side
    Etc, etc, etc.

It is easy to say those things on the internet. He is hoping to play with your emotions so that he can have access to your purse strings. Be very cautious on everything and anything. If I heard those things he was saying right off the bat I would think he has bad motives planned and usually those involve getting to your monies.
    I will be extra careful, I haven't given him my number yet before I do though I'm going to chat with him on skype
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    I will be extra careful, I haven't given him my number yet before I do though I'm going to chat with him on skype

Also a big clue will be if the chat goes to money or money related things. You mentioned a street in your city. It is very easy if you mention what state or county you are in to look up a street. Stay on your guard. You don't need this drama in your life.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2013, 12:08 PM
    IF you do meet him have him meet you at a McDonalds on the other side of town. Only take as much money as you think you will need, plus a little more for emergency. Do not take credit cards. Do not give him more identifying information (address, phone #, work info,) than he already has.
    If possible have a friend either go with you or be there acting like she doesn't know you. Then you can get an opinion from her observing him. You don't want him having enough information that he can track you down and become a royal pain in the butt.

Sep 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Also a big clue will be if the chat goes to money or money related things. You mentioned a street in your city. It is very easy if you mention what state or county you are in to look up a street. Stay on your guard. You don't need this drama in your life.
    Thanks he never mentioned anything about money. Well he lives in the bronx, NY and I live not too far from there. He said he works at a supermarket on 34th street which I think is in Manhattan.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 01:12 PM
    If you are feeling uncomfortable after only five days, I say pay attention to that feeling.
    I'd stop contact with him. When someone starts talking love and marriage that fast, he's either full of crap or crazy. Say thanks but no thanks, then you don't have to worry about getting hurt.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    If you are feeling uncomfortable after only five days, I say pay attention to that feeling.
    I'd stop contact with him. When someone starts talking love and marriage that fast, he's either full of crap or crazy. Say thanks but no thanks, then you don't have to worry about getting hurt.
    I totally agree.

It is the only way to stay safe (money, health, etc).

Sep 9, 2013, 01:30 PM
    You are right,

Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    You're right. There has been times in the past when I have ignored my gut instincts and I think that's how I ended up getting hurt.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2013, 01:33 PM
    I learned the hard way listen to your gut NOT your brain nor your heart.

Sep 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I learned the hard way listen to your gut NOT your brain nor your heart.
    I decided to stop talking to him and continue to talk to another man who wasn't doing what this guy was. I will from now on trust my instincts
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    I decided to stop talking to him and continue to talk to another man who wasn't doing what this guy was. I will from now on trust my instincts
    That's the way to go. If your gut is telling you something isn't right, then listen to your gut. You don't owe anyone contact just because they've expressed their love for you, especially someone that does so after 5 days, when you've never met. It's just creepy.

Sounds to me like he's desperate for love, so much so that he'll take any girl that shows the least bit of interest in him. That's not good. I doubt he even knows very much about you, other than the fact that you're female, and on a dating site, so he has a chance.

Dumping him was the right choice in my opinion. :)

Sep 10, 2013, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    That's the way to go. If your gut is telling you something isn't right, then listen to your gut. You don't owe anyone contact just because they've expressed their love for you, especially someone that does so after 5 days, when you've never met. It's just creepy.

Sounds to me like he's desperate for love, so much so that he'll take any girl that shows the least bit of interest in him. That's not good. I doubt he even knows very much about you, other than the fact that you're female, and on a dating site, so he has a chance.

Dumping him was the right choice in my opinion. :)
    Yep, it is creepy you just never know nowadays. Glad I made a good decision with all you guy's help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
    This is not normal, yes most men will want to "meet" have coffee and talk. But future wife, sorry, I would have went no contact the minute they said that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    This is not normal, yes most men will want to "meet" have coffee and talk. But future wife, sorry, I would have went no contact the minute they said that.
    Ditto. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

In what movie does a young girl meet a man online and he rapes her? [ 1 Answers ]

They meet in the mall and he is way older then she thought him to be and he rapes her but she doesn't realize it until the end?

My man friend wanting me to meet the ex wife. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so my daughter wanted to have a sleepover, I said OK and of course one of the girls is the mans daughter. In the morning he called me, and he said that his ex wife was in town and she wanted to meet me! I asked him how he felt about that. He said he was OK with it. Well, I ended the...

Where am I going to meet a new man now? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a huge desire for a sweet kind man, who is gentle and boyish and fun. Now I ain't going to find a lovely guy like that at the disco, and I don't go to pubs, and there's rarely anyone any good on RSVP, so where will I hang to meet this lovely guy? If you have an idea, please send me your...

In what movie does a young girl meet a man online, they meet, go to his place, and [ 1 Answers ]

And she ends up cutting off his penis?

How do you decide what flaws to overlook in a man once you meet him? [ 8 Answers ]

How do you decide what flaws to overlook in a man once you meet him? For example, if I met a guy and I noticed that he didn't dress very well (i.e pants not at his waist, shirt hanging out, shoes untied) I wouldn't really give him a chance. But am I jumping too quick to conclusions? All of those...

View more questions Search