Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skydiver49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Securing my 401 k
    I was terminated from my previous employment without cause. I've attempted to secure my 401k; however my previous employer refuses to release my funds. They state there is a 3 year waiting period before I become eligible to collect or transfer funds. Everyone tells me termination from employment is an automatic qualifier to receive these funds. Anyone know what I can do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2013, 03:36 PM
    "Everyone" may not be right. How long were you a member of the plan? What does "terminated without cause" mean? Do you have a copy of the plan document?

Each 401(k) plan can have different provisions that can be specific to the plan. So its possible your plan has a restriction on distributions on termination.

On the other hand, Not sure why you think the plan is not secure. Plan funds are not kept by the company but by a third party administrator. So the company has no control over your funds. Make sure the administrator has your current address and that you get regular statements to keep track of your balances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Securing Cleaning Contracts [ 7 Answers ]

I have a cleaning business and I am trying to secure commercial and residential contracts. I have built a website, passed out business cards and did search engine submissions. What else can I do to get clientele?

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

Securing pipes [ 4 Answers ]

Changed a bathtub into a shower stall so faucet and valve needed to be moved higher. Should it be secured to a brace or stud?

Securing password [ 1 Answers ]

How do I secure my wireless router with a password tim

Securing wireless networking [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a wireless D-Link WBR-1310 to my home system so that I could add my new Toshiba laptop to the network. How can I set the system so that my neighbors don't help themselves to my network? Spoons:) :D

View more questions Search