Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LS1Andrew Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    You can click on this link to see the product.
    Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phos Zorb

Once again thank you very much. Always more than helpful. :D

Think I can add some java moss or other plants to try and keep it down?
    Just wondering if the phosphate absorber would hurt the plants at all.

Thanks again, and once this clears up nicely... I'll take a few pictures of the tank for you.
    (Still a very crowded tank, but my girlfriend and I will be changing around our tanks once we move in August. My 29 and her 55 will be split up into 1x 55gal and 2x 29 gal once we move)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I don't keep planted tanks anymore, but I did once upon a time and never had a problem with the plants growing (especially the java moss) in water with low phosphate levels. I would have to add a little fertilizer and iron every now and then, but for the most part just had good lighting and a well cycled aquarium to keep them in good health.
    In another thread we were just talking about java moss - I love the stuff.

I'd love to see pics of the tank. I bet it's beautiful:D

Kae
    nanajo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Bacterial blooms are not healthy for a tank as suggested. When you clean a tank always make sure that you cut off a small piece of the old insert and place it within the new one to get the bloom started. Plants are a fantastic way to keep oxygen in a tank as is a power head. Your tank may be a bit over populated and you should really think about maybe setting up another tank. Don't forget the rules of a healthy tank,
    1. never over populate
    2. never over feed
    3. always ensure that tank is well set up in advance. The long the tank cycles without the fish the better.
    4. Supply plenty of oxygen and water movement
    Watch what type of food that you are using and why
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 10:15 PM
    I'm sorry, I really don't like picking through peoples posts and suggestions,
    But so that there is no confusion, I feel a few things need to be clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by nanajo1
    bacterial blooms are not healthy for a tank
    Bacterial blooms pose no harm to fish.
    It's the possible pollutants that can cause the bacterial bloom that cause the harm.
    Bacterial blooms can happen for several reasons and not all of them are harmful reasons.

when you clean a tank always make sure that you cut off a small piece of the old insert and place it within the new one
    Ls1Andrew, your filter does not use cartridge inserts, this does not apply to your filter.
    And your aquarium has already established the nitrogen cycle.

the long the tank cycles without the fish the better
    You need a form of ammonia to start the cycling process (the nitrogen cycle). Fish offer this.
    If suggesting a fishless cycle, you don't just put water in a tank and wait.
    Other steps and care must be taken to ensure that the nitrogen cycle has established itself to a point where it can convert ALL the harmful toxins fish waste produces before adding the fish.
    That's the whole point of a fishless cycle - having a well developed nitrogen cycle so that fish do not have to undergo the process.
    If care is not taken to build the cycle strong enough to convert waste,
    Ammonia and nitrite levels will rise when the fish are added creating harmful toxins in the water defeating the whole purpose of a fishless cycle.

Jun 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Just thought I'd update... I did a big water change and added a phosphate remover. A few days later I got the water tested and the phosphates seemed a bit lower, but were still a bit high.

The tank is still cloudy, not really sure what's going on. I have been cutting down on feeding and how long the lights are on, but nothing seems to work. I guess I'll leave the tank alone (besides topping off the water from evaporation) and see if it clears up in a week or 2.

:confused:
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 09:08 PM
    When I first started fish keeping, I use to think the more cleaning and water changes I made, the better my tank would look.
    I couldn't have been more wrong. I exhausted myself, gave up, and left it alone.
    Then one day I woke up to a crystal clear tank. Nature took over and the filters started doing the job for me.

It will take a while for the phosphate remover to remove and return to a normal level.
    You may have removed too much water and now have a bacterial bloom.

Just top off evaporated water like you said and keep the phosphate remover in place.

Jul 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Well, finally figured it out.

I was filling up the tank after a water change and noticed that the water looked a little strange. I let the water sit in a clear container and it was still cloudy right out of the faucet downstairs. (Water can look like that when it has a lot of oxygen and when it is filled quickly, so that's what I always assumed). The water looked worse than normal, so I filled up the tank with water from the faucet upstairs... crystal clear tank.

I don't know what the deal was, and that makes it even more annoying... but at least the water is perfectly clear now. I'll take those pictures as promised. :D

Thanks for all the help and for trying to figure this out with me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 11:09 AM
    WOW! Something so simple!
    I wonder what's wrong with your faucett...

Glad you figured it out. I'd love to see the pics:D

Jul 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    WOW! Something so simple!
    I wonder whats wrong with your faucett...

Glad you figured it out. I'd love to see the pics:D

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about the downstairs faucet now... :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

Gold Fish Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have 3 fairly large gold fish species, what size tank is adequate? One is showing signs of listing and black spots? They only get feed once a day and filter is changed often. Help grand kids coming soon. Thanks

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Cloudy 10 gal. Fresh Water Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here we go I set up a 10 gal. fresh water fish tank up back in November, I have no fish in the tank. 1) the PH was very high so I tried to get the ph down (still working on this) 2) the tank has been very cloudy (milky) for about 1 1/2 months No matter what I do its very cloudy and the...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search