Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zach479 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 06:36 AM
    Why does my battery spark
    I went to charge my lawn mower batter I took the battery out and went to charge it I connected the positive then when to connect negative and it sparked even though charger was not plugged in?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 07:35 AM
    It is possible it was charging a capacitor that is inside the charging system. Unless there is high heat or melting then I wouldn't worry too much.

You don't want sparks occurring after you have been charging the battery as that can cause an explosion. Be careful to use all precautions like gloves and safety glasses when working with batteries.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 10:27 AM
    Hi,
    You are connecting what is in effect two sides of the coil of a transformer. If is a more expensive solid state unit, it probably will not spark. If it is a cheaper model, you probably are connecting the two ends of the secondary coil of a transformer. If it has a ammeter, you will see the needle jump.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Classic 90, inducer runs, but no spark. No codes, ~70v DC at spark generator. [ 0 Answers ]

Pressure switch is closing, I tested it for continuity at the control board. No codes, but FLM light flickers rapidly. Also gas valve does not appear to be opening for pilot--perhaps waiting to detect a spark? Held a grounded lead close to high voltage terminal on spark generator, no spark there...

Riding lawn mower won't start have spark new battery heavy compression [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Riding lawn mower won't start I have spark (new spark plug) new battery, heavy compression... starter partial rotation of flywheel but then seizes. Rotate by hand, repeat. Craftsman riding mower 18.5 briggs & stratton ohv any help is GREATLY appreciated thank you!

Intermittent spark ignition spark but will not light pilot on natural gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Johnson ultra air 97 natural gas furnace , 18 years old Starting sequence 1) exhaust blower and main blower come on 2) 2 seconds later intermittent spark igniter starts sparking , but will not ignite pilot Will shut down after maybe 20 seconds , do not smell any gas Things I've tried......

Spark when connecting positive battery post [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced the solenoid on my LT12 Snapper rider and noticed a small spark when I connect the positive post to the battery. Is this normal? The wire hook ups are correct.

1995 civic no spark. Short in battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1995 honda that has no spark... Several months ago I found out I had a short in my battery.. could have this affected something?

View more questions Search