Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 5, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Cable with red – 24 volts, black 120 volts, white 0 volts (from breaker)
    If that cable is truly coming from the breaker, there should be two breakers. One for the black wire and one for the red wire.
    jasonbran16 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 06:05 PM
    You're good - lights in the hallway are working.
    Attached Images

Sep 5, 2013, 07:28 PM
    OK, put a wire nut on the red wire in the power source cable in the box behind the medicine cabinet.

At the switch box, connect one of the black wires from the combo switch/outlet to the black wire of the 3-wire cable with a wire nut and add a pig tail (a short piece of black wire). Connect the other black wire from the switch/outlet to the red wire of the 3-wire cable. Connect the white of the 3-wire cable to the silver (top) uncovered screw of the switch/outlet. Connect the white of the 2-wire cable to the silver (bottom) covered screw. Connect the black pig tail to the brass (top) uncovered screw. Connect the black of the 2-wire cable to the brass (bottom) covered screw.

Sep 5, 2013, 08:03 PM
    The red from the power source is connected directly to the fixture ad you said before if I cap the red from the power source then won't the fixture be getting no power or did you forget to tell me to attach the red from the loop back to the black from the fixture?

Sep 5, 2013, 08:21 PM
    did you forget to tell me to attach the red from the loop back to the black from the fixture?
    Yes, possibly. The red of the switch loop should be connected to the black going to the light fixture.

Sep 5, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Winner!!

You are the best Harold even tough I will never get to formally thank you I truly cannot thank you enough!

You kindness and attentiveness to a complete stranger saved me from my angry wife and probably injuring myself.

Well wishes to you and if you are ever in Rochester NY please let me know I owe you a cold one!

[email protected]

Sep 5, 2013, 08:44 PM
    Should I worry about ground in the outlet?

Sep 5, 2013, 08:49 PM
    Does the 3-wire power source cable have a ground wire in it.

Sep 5, 2013, 08:50 PM
    Not in it - its on the outside of it - comes in the wall - connects to the light - then goes into the wall with the loop connection and doesn't come into the light switch box...

Sep 5, 2013, 08:52 PM
    Then connect all ground wires together behind the medicine cabinet. Connect any ground wires in the switch/outlet box together and to the outlet. If there is not ground wires in the switch/outlet box nothing you can do to ground. The GFI provides more protection than ground.

Congratulations and good luck.

Sep 12, 2013, 09:17 PM
    Harold - possible for you to tell me how on this existing setup we would setup a fan to remove steam during showers.

My dad wants to come up and do it 2 weeks from now since we just completely refinished the bathroom by painting all of the walls and refinishing the tile...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a GFCI outlet with a light switch [ 4 Answers ]

The contractor that installed our jet tub wired it through a GFCI outlet in the small enclosed room where the toilet is located. The on/off switch on the tub is very easy to activate so I have been leaving the breaker on the GFCI outlet "off" to avoid accidentally burning out the pump. This has...

Must a switch controlled outlet be GFCI? [ 5 Answers ]

In my kitchen under my sink I found an outlet that didn't seem to work until I realized it was controlled by a switch up next to the window.I am assuming... it is for a garbabe disposal. At some point someone put in a single outlet . Anyway, is this outlet supposed to be GFCI, which it isn't. And,...

How do I plug in something to a tamper resistant gfci device? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new Lutron tamper resistant GFCI in the kitchen. I see the little shutters on the left 'hole' of both the upper and lower recept. How hard do I push a plu into these to release them or is there some trick... the plug doesn't seem to want to go and I don't want to push too hard.

Trouble installing bathroom gfci outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Outlet isn't working I have 4 neutral and 3 black wires in box, with power on I get current from 2 each, I had power on each line side but outlet wasn't working I'm lost please help thanks:confused:

Light switch and GFCI outlet [ 3 Answers ]

I see many similar posts, but none specific enough to my situation for this rookie to be able to apply the answers. I have box with a light switch on one side and a standard outlet (i.e. I can plug two things into it) on the other. I need to replace the outlet with a GFCI. There are four...

View more questions Search