Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TriedTestedTrue Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2009, 02:52 PM

I spoke with my Chinese herbalist yesterday about my polyp and she said it was a symptom of imbalance of the kidney and recommended different types of herbs throughout my cycle (e.g. ones that treat kidney-yang deficiency after ovulation). They don't think in terms of 'estrogen dominance' etc, since that's a western term. It's such an individual experience and the herbs can be powerful. I would suggest seeing a TCM for a prescription.
    moytong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Hi,

Some insights I found on the net regarding endometrial polyps. I have one too. Am schedule for a hysterocopy and D & C this coming August 29, 2009.

http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?page=/women/articles/polyps_dah
    katieokell Posts: 40, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2009, 11:34 AM

I have endometriosis, and I definitely know what you're going through - it's not fun.
    The surgery, however, is very non-invasive, and can really, really help. I've had two surgeries in the past 10 years, and I've found that the recovery time is about 3 weeks - I couldn't walk for about 2-3 days, and after that I was fully functional, for the most part.
    However, if you're looking to avoid surgery, here are some tips:
    Endometriosis get's a growth signal from the hormone estrogen. It gets a 'death signal' from the hormone progesterone. One of the best ways to control endometrial growth is by taking birth controls with a higher amount of progesterone than estrogen - depo provera (a needle in the bum every three months) or an IUD (a t-shaped plastic device that sits in your uterus and emits progesterone) are two of the best.
    Also, keep in mind that fat deposits on women encourage estrogen production. Women with endometriosis and breast cancer are encouraged to reduce their body fat to discourage estrogen production.
    Stress can cause estrogen production, which is where acupuncture comes in. Some people think that acupuncture can reduce stress, which could in turn reduce the amount of estrogen you're producing, which in turn reduces the amount of growth signals that your endometrial depsits receive.
    I have no idea about herbs or other homeopathic remedies, but keep in mind that the key to reducing endometriosis is a hormone balance.
    As far as scientists know, the only way to remove endometriosis is to surgically remove it. The only thing you can do without surgery is try to prevent continued growth. Also, for some strange reason pregnancy helps to reduce endometrial growth, and it also prevents recurrence.

I am a fourth year biology student with an avid fascination about endometriosis.
    MaryGT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
    My two cents, as I have had polyps and done acupuncture and surgery. I appreciate these blogs as I am going through fertility treatments and the more info we have from other women's experiences the better. I can only tell you my experience and understanding. Polyps are little skin tags that most of us get on the outside of our body but these are inside the uterus. They grow and thrive in high estrogen environments. Such as the case with me taking lots of estrogen boosting shots and pills for more embryos, due to fertility issues.

The surgery itself was not difficult and not too painful afterward- just a belly ache. I was in there only to have a Hysteroscopy and they found the Polyp to be completely attached to the lining of my uterus so they did the D&C. I did acupuncture and Chinese herbs which helped especially after the surgery as the acupuncture is able to balance my hormones.

When I had a couple of large cysts on my ovaries the Dr.s were amazed at how quickly they were gone (less than a month) by using acupuncture and Chinese herbs.

TriedTestedTrue Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2011, 02:52 AM
    katieokell wrote: Endometriosis get's a growth signal from the hormone estrogen. It gets a 'death signal' from the hormone progesterone.

That's a great point. I am definitely progesterone deficient, but I am using a bio-identical form of progesterone to increase my levels. The type of estrogen and progesterone found in birth control are synthetic and are associated with other health issues (e.g. stroke).

Maca and vitex are also great herbs for balancing estrogen and progesterone.
    Nursehev27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
    I would like to a little something about acupuncture. 3 years ago I was unable to conceive because my hormones were so out of wack, and my reproductive endocrinologist diagnosed me with PCOS, fatty liver, hyperprolatemia, and uterine polyps, and hypothyroidism. I went to an acupuncturist/ naturepath who naturally reversed all these conditions with acupunture & herbs. I also did castor oil packs with a heating pad & to this day have no more polyps. I am now ovulating and have been on my own for over a year! Acupunture & herbs are powerful treatments that have been around a lot longer than western medicine (try 5000 years).
    I also think it's important to mention that my reproductive endocrinologist wanted to push the most expensive surgery before anything else, she wanted to push IVF before even trying IUI. So be careful of your docs motives. They even get pushy sometimes, like when I said I am not sure I want to go the route of expensive laporoscopic surgery right off the bat... The NP said well the doctor might choose not to treat you then. Felt like a threat!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name of a martial arts movie where they used acupuncture to kill. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I remember of this martial arts movie where the main character was a white american guy. The orientals in the movie used to kill using acupuncture needles. I think it's from the 70's or 80's, but can't remember the name of the movie nor the actors name for searching in imdb. Thanks ...

Acupuncture [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone tried accupuncture for infertility? Was it helpful?

Endometrial ablasion [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone else has had this procedure? I had it done Dec. of last year due to extreme menorrhagia. I was told it would stop my period forever, yet after a year, the red menace has returned. It is not as bad but it's still there. Anyone else have this problem?

Endometrial ablasion [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering having the endometrial ablasion to help reduce the effects of my cyclical anemia. What are the short/long term side effects? I have a history of bad reactions to anesthesia. Are there alternatives to general anesthesia?

Endometrial ablasion [ 1 Answers ]

I am anemic due to heavy periods and my doctor suggests endometrial ablasion. Is this procedure expensive?

View more questions Search