Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJean16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Crown or Extract
    I am 24 years old and have a back lower molar that is cracked. My dentist said I need a root canal and that I shoul have a crown put in afterwards. However my dental insurance is not great and I am a struggling student who can barely pay my bills. So I am not sure I have the funds for a crown. My father was in the same boat as me recently and he just had his molar pulled. I'm not sure on how I should proceed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 08:53 AM
    If it is a back molar you don't have any reason to have a crown for cosmetic reasons. No one is going to notice a back tooth missing. You are looking at great expense for a root canal plus a crown. You will have no problem later in Iife being without this tooth. Good luck with your decision.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2013, 11:21 AM
    I am not a dentist but dentists have told me that a missing lower molar can cause the tooth above it to loosen and eventually fall out. Discuss with your dentist before making a decision.
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    I am not a dentist but dentists have told me that a missing lower molar can cause the tooth above it to loosen and eventually fall out. Discuss with your dentist before making a decision.
    Actually, I would not have given this advice if I had not worked for an endodontist for a few years, and from personal experience of NOT having any issues with my upper teeth after having a back molar removed.

Of course it all depends on how well you care for your teeth throughout your adult life.

I hope the OP has a completely honest dentist!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2013, 12:56 PM
    This is the only reference I could find that discusses the issue:
    http://www.implantdentistryinstitute...aw%20Bones.pdf
    "When back molars are missing the damage is even more serious" and "When no back teeth are touching the stress
    is now placed on the front teeth, this 'overloads' them and forces them to move forward and outward.
    When back molars are missing the damage is even more serious.
    The back chewing teeth begin to erupt down into the empty spaces where the lower molar teeth are missing."
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Yes, that is very good information, then how do you explain me having all my teeth at 71, with exception of and with no problems and missing molars on both sides.

I think these issues arise when there is bone loss in older individuals, indicated by receding gums and younger people who just do not look after their teeth and contract gum disease because of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After initial crown appt: molds made, etc can a different Dr put in permanent crown? [ 1 Answers ]

I am stuck out of state with a seized engine and my temporary broke into pieces. Can they send me crown and have local dentist put it on?

Crown lengthening, build-up, and temporary crown on the same day ? [ 0 Answers ]

My tooth nr. 28 had a root canal treatment 1 week ago by an endodontist. Yesterday, my general dentist performed a crown lengthening and placed the build-up and temporary crown on it. All in one session. In 2 weeks, he wants to place the permanent crown on it. Has this been done correctly ? There...

Crown & Post or Crown Only [ 1 Answers ]

I had a root canal 2 months ago & moved. The dentist who performed the root canal stated he would insert a post & crown. My new dentist (whom I may change) stated that he will only put a crown on, a post is not "necessarily" needed. I'm active duty Marine Corps & I have a fear that this particular...

I got a root canal and needed crown lengthening but got billed for a crown? [ 10 Answers ]

I went to a new dentist for a horrible tooth ache. They took a full set of X-rays which is fine but I just needed them to look at the one tooth ASAP. I was told I needed a root canal, crown lengthening, and porcelien crown. I could not afford everything at once so I did the root canal the next day...

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

View more questions Search