Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0418amar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2013, 06:25 AM
    Dating Minors (No sexual relations)
    Is it legal for a 16 year old to date a 19 year old in the state of Georgia? Are there any age gap laws?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Legal is a term that can have broad definitions. One thing being that although the law may make exceptions (Romeo&Juliet) it doesn't make the perp immune to prosecution. It only provides a defense after they have been arrested. The arrest record can become public knowlage. Molestation of a minor isn't something he will want to be in the papers for.

By technicality it may not be completely illegal there are so many boundries that can be broken it is almost impossible for him to comply with the law as it is written.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 06:48 AM
    As long as the parents are aware and give their permission.

There are some issues, of sexual touching. But lets all be honest, a 19 year old man,? He is going to be after sex at some point before too long. Of course he is not going to tell the 16 year old that, he works it up, to that point, where she feels it is her choice or she has to becasuse he wants her to prove her love.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2013, 07:46 AM
    I don't know of anyplace in the US that has laws that cover dating. There are laws that cover sexual activity. There are laws that cover parental interference.

So, if her parents are aware and approve of the dating, then its OK.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... There are laws that cover sexual activity. ...
    However, in Georgia, the age of consent appears to be 16 anyway.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Yes it is but I think at the same time they have to have parental permission as far as things like if she tries spending the night with him.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    However, in Georgia, the age of consent appears to be 16 anyway.
    Age of consent makes little difference in this situation. You have a minor that is involved with an adult. There are so many other pitfalls that the adult can fall into that a relationship is ill advised.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Age of consent makes little difference in this situation. You have a minor that is involved with an adult. There are so many other pitfalls that the adult can fall into that a relationship is ill advised.
    Possible pitfalls, possibly. But the question is premised upon what appears to be a false assumption (that sexual relations would be criminal).

We are not asked whether dating under these circumstances is a good idea; the question goes to whether the relationship is "legal".
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Age of consent means the state says it is legal for the 16 year old to have sex with depending on state law either someone within 2 years older, 4 years older or any age older. Pennsylvania use to be age of consent 16 up to 4 years older (20) now it is any age over 16.
    But as I said the law is still most likely legal guardian can press charges if the 16 year old runs off with or spends nights with the 16 year old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating Minors [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old who likes and is liked back by a 20 year old. We are 4 years and 1 month apart. We would like to date but he is worried about minority laws. Could we date? What is considered legal when it comes to kissing, hugging, making out, and other sexual activities?

Sexual Relations [ 14 Answers ]

Me and Haley are Dating Now. Sorry I forgot to update people about my current realationship:rolleyes: So here's my questions. Spring break is coming up. My friends and I had a great idea about maybe spending it together. In a different state. So my parent's agreed not having a reason not to. So...

Dating Minors [ 18 Answers ]

Im 17 and I live in Indiana my boyfriend is 25 can he be arrested for dating me and is it legal for us to have sex I'm so confused please help me!

Minors and dating [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is 21 and I am 16. He is in the police acadmey and our parents think more is going on than is. We are just friends. And now our parents are threating to tell the acadmey. Is this against the law? Or will he lose his job if we still hang out? :confused:

View more questions Search