Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2013, 01:17 AM
    Taxes on house sales
    Our old family house had all 4 sibling names on deed. Parents both deceased. My unmarried brother lived in it alone. Me and 2 sisters married and living in our own homes. Brother recently died. My sisters and I just sold house for $450,000 and will be splitting it 3 ways. House originally bought for $19,000 in 1970 (Hawaii). After realtor's commission, escrow fees, etc. I figure we probably will make about $130,000 each. About how much tax do you think I will have to pay? Will it affect my husband and my income tax tremendously since this was not our main home?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2013, 02:33 AM
    Humm what about brothers estate, depending on how deed was written. His heirs of any may have claim to his part of home, this will depend on location and exact wording on deed.

Taxes are paid on the capital gains, the profit from puchase value to sale minus cost of sale and the such, ( true profit) at this value, have an accountant properly do taxes on this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 31, 2013, 04:33 AM
    You pay capital gains based on the house's market value at the time you all inherited it, not what your parents paid for it in 1970. That amount should have been determined for probate of the estate, when inventory was done.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 31, 2013, 04:40 AM
    You need to get TWO historical appraisals done, one to determine the Fair Market Value (FMV) at the time of death for last surviving parent, then again at the time of death for the brother.

Once you have those appraisals, the calculation of the capital gains tax is relatively simple for any competent tax professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The impact of credit card sales, sales discounts, and sales returns on net sales [ 1 Answers ]

Total gross sales for the period include the following: Credit card sales (discount 3%) $ 9,400 Sales on account (2/15, n/60) $ 10,500 Sales returns related to sales on account were $500. All returns were made before payment. One-half of the remaining sales on...

Sales Taxes on Invoices [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary for me to separate sales tax when I am paying an invoice? Will there ever come a need for me to show that I have been paying sales tax on my invoices? Thanks!

Sales Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

In setting up our chart of accounts for our newly installed Oracle, I have to set up accounts for Sales Taxes. One account is for Sales Tax collected, which is a liability account The other one needs to be set up for Sales taxes charged on purchases of resale goods. What account should I set...

How do e-commerce sites charge NY sales taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out how to charge sales taxes on an e-commerce site. I will be based in NY and be selling mainly gift items. I was told that I need to charge all orders being shipped to a NY address NY sales taxes based on the NYS County jurisdiction list Publication 718 (and not by zipcode)....

Nonresident aliens and state sales taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I moved to the US from Canada on a TN (now H1B) status in August 2005 and so will be filing my US taxes as a nonresident alien for 2005. (I didn't meet substantial presence.) My question is: does anybody know if nonresident aliens can deduct state and local SALES taxes? I live in Florida,...

View more questions Search