Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lecreuset Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Circuit breaker will not reset
    Electrical storm caused my breaker#19 controlling hall, bathroom electrical switches etc. to have a red line. The breaker did not flip off, although I did shut it off and then back on... Can you help?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
    The breaker didn't flip OFF, but it did flip to the red line, right? If this is the case, when you flip the breaker to off and then reset it to the on position does the breaker stay on even for a second or two or nothing... flips right back to the red line?

Next question I ask is if you have pushed the reset button on the GFCI outlet in the bathroom (if present)... did that trip off? Check on this?

Answer my questions...

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
    The red line is just an indicator that the breaker tripped. However, I have seen them on weak breakers. Is everything working? Some breakers have a red line, some a red window shows. Single breakers are typically less than $5. To be real safe flip the main breaker before removing the panel cover if you plan to replace the breaker yourself.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 05:33 PM
    Electrical storm caused my breaker#19 controlling hall, bathroom electrical switches etc. to have a red line. The breaker did not flip off, although I did shut it off and then back on... Can you help?
    If it tripped, and you pushed to all the way to off, then back to on, and it tripped again, you have a short circuit or problem somewhere that needs to be found and fixed. It is highly unlikely that it is a bad breaker. It's more likely it's just doing it's job.

Are you certain of your abilities to do electrical troubleshooting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker reset but still no power after trying to replace a light switch. [ 9 Answers ]

Was replacing a light switch in our powder room when light in the kitchen turned off. I might have a short circuit and tripped circuit breaker. So, checked my circuit breaker panel, but nothing is in the "off" position. Reset the circuit breaker anyway, by turning all switch to "off" and " on"...

What does it mean when you reset a circuit breaker won [ 1 Answers ]

I came home from work and my pool pumpm was off, I turned the switch to off and went to reset the breaker and it will not reset could the breaker be bad?

Thermostat reset by flipping circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

We have a Honeywell Thermostat T8112D1005 (1) 0014 PF1A. It is about 10 years old. In the morning the heat does not kick in, but if I manually flip the furnace circuit breaker off for a few seconds, then on, the furnace then works fine. What is causing this?

Breaker tripped after accidental short after reset only halfthe circuit came bck on [ 3 Answers ]

While changing a light switch the hot accidentally shorted, the breaker tripped and after resetting only half the circuit fired back up. I checked all the outlets and switches all seemed good but again only half of them had power. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

GFI Circuit Breaker will not reset [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GFI Circuit Breaker connected to my outdoor wiring. After a very heavy storm the power to my holiday lights blew. I attempted to throw the GFI switch, but it will not reset. Do I need to replace it or am I doing something wrong. Also if it needs to be replaced, how difficult a job is it? ...

View more questions Search