Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2013, 03:06 PM
    What are the legal rights for step children in the state of Florida?
    My step father died before he could sign his will which was leaving 50% of his assets to me, according to the attorney he had hired. The attorney was in the process of submitting to the courts to have me as the executor/administrator of my dad's estate. Nearing the end a great-nephew called the attorney and said I was not blood related and therefore his grandmother (my dad's ill sister) should get the estate as next of kin. No one else in the family agrees with his actions.

Do I have any rights to fight this? This is the only father I have ever known and it is not fair for someone whom my father despised should think he is entitled. What can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Have the attorney continue to probate the estate under the terms of the will. The lawyer will testify in probate court, that the will represents your father's wishes about the distribution of the estate. Most likely the court will accept the will and deny the distant relative's claims.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2013, 05:37 PM
    I get to disagree with Scott somewhat here.

Yes, you should go ahead with your attorney and fight this, The court may, with the testimony of the attorney accept this as the will. BUT. Since it was not signed, the other side can fight that, your father could have changed his mind prior to signing. No one knows his thoughts before death.

Legally a step child has no rights to inherit property, unless they were adopted, or listed in the will.

So it is not going to be a easy fight
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2013, 06:27 PM
    What we don't know here is the circumstances of the will's creation and the father's death. I'm basing my answer on the assumption that the father died shortly and suddenly after drawing up the will. In that case, I believe the attorney's testimony will carry the day.

I'm not saying its going to be a slam dunk, if there was no will at all, you would be out of luck. But given the facts as presented and my assumptions, I think you have a good chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do adult children have rights to their parents ashes in the state of Florida? [ 0 Answers ]

My Mother was married to my Stepfather when she suddenly became very ill and passed. We were minors at the time,since then he has remarried and moved on. He never gave her family or us the children anything of hers. Are we entitled to some of her ashes? He had them divided up into small urns. If...

Legal rights of step children? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a home owner and have had a mortgage alone for 20 yrs. 11 yrs ago I made a will leaving all my property and assets to my biological daughter. For the past 10 yrs I have lived with my partner but have continued to pay my mortgage alone and mortgage remains in my name only. We are due to marry...

Can I take my step children out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

... can I take my step-children out of state for spring break... their father has to work so he won't be attending the vacation until the last 2 days... he has given me consent, I have a power of attorney and their mother knows the vacation will be out of state..?

Do step-children have legal rights to step-fathers estate with no will [ 25 Answers ]

My father married a woman with 4 grown children and they were married for 29 years. She died in Jan of 2008 with no will. He passed away in October of 2008. He also left no will. There are 2 children of lineal descent from my dad, me and his son. Now these 'children' have taken us to court saying...

What legal rights would I have on my step son? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband has a 14 year old son, right now he is in the custody of his grandmother (my husband's mother). Both the kid's mother and my husband want custody of the kid. If my husband gets full custody of his son, me as his wife, what rights would I have on the kid? He is my step son, would I...

View more questions Search