Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jih Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 03:51 PM
    basement finishing and insulation
    What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 05:33 PM
    Unless you know some trick to fastening insulation batts to steel studs, I would go with wood. Basements tend to be damp, perhaps a good place to go with the plastic wrapped batts.

I would meticulously seal up all cracks between the foundation and floor above. I am on a crawl space, but I caulked between the foundation and plate, plate and band joist, and band joist and subfloor. I also coated the block walls with a Portland cement based paint. I then ran insulation down the walls and out a couple of feet. The dirt is covered with plastic. My crawl space stays warm and dry all year around. In the summer, the pipes are not covered with condensation.

We have a plumbing whiz here, but are sort of thin in some other areas. I don't know if anybody can help on how to fasten insulation batts to steel studs or not. I do what I can, but I know more about dogs than construction.
    bmeier Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jih
    What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?
    I'm in the process of finishing my basement, too, and am dealing with the same questions. In the basement, there is the moisture on the inside of the house, which could condense on the basement walls if they are too cold, but there is also moisture that can come through the concrete wall, even if there are no cracks. I decided to do with extruded polystryene, instead of fiberglass because it is not affected by dampness, plus my basement is not that large so the price difference is not so large.

I would agree with labman on the wood studs, although I know in my area for bottom plates, treated wood or cedar are required.

As for the vapor barrier, they all can be effective, it most depends on the installation. As materials go, I think the plastic is the most moisture resistant.
    nuke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Basement insulation
    Hello,
    I am remodeling a basement that was previously insulated with fiberglass in 2x4 walls with a paper moisture barrier. There is significant mold on the wallboard, 2x4s, and fiberglass. I would recommend the following website http://www.buildingscience.com/ go to the homeowner resources section. There is a guide to home insulation that addresses basement insulation, moisture and mold issues. Fiberglass in 2x4 walls directly in contact with the cement walls has been a common practice in the past but is a no-no . The EPS (extruded or expanded poly) is the way to go.

Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Finishing Basement (Newbie) [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of finishing my basement. I have done the framing, run the electric and I am in the process of running the plumbing. Next step will be deciding if I can add a couple vents to the area. I admit I do not know much about HVAC. I am in the process of doing my homework...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

View more questions Search