Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellagirl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Am I legally married ?
    I married in 1974. I had a baby not his out of wedlock so my parents wanted me to make up a last name and say he left me after we secretly married. I never was married for real until 1974, never really had my last name changed legally just called myself a name and did not use my birth last name. Got married as I said in 1974 using made up last name. So my question is was I legally married in 1974 since my name was never legally changed?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 05:03 PM
    So what your telling us just to be clear is that you knew you had an assumed name and you signed it to a legal document? What other documents did you sign and use that name for?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2013, 05:16 PM
    If you signed a false name to a marriage license, that license may not be valid. On the other hand, if you have lived as husband and wife for almost 40 years, I doubt if any court would void the marriage.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 05:17 PM
    I would be more concerned about what social security and the IRS has to say about your name change.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Got married as I said in 1974 using made up last name.
    In my opinion, that marriage was valid. One can call herself whatever one wants to call herself (The requirement of a "legal" name change is generally only necessary to change official documents.), and this was even more so back in 1974 when we didn't have DHS and the paranoia that goes with it (assuming you are in the US).

Assuming you didn't subsequently get a divorce or anullment, and assuming that your husband is still alive, yes you are married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you legally married after six months? [ 4 Answers ]

Are you legally married after six months?

What can I do legally if I unknowing married someone that was still legally married? [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do legally if I unknowingly married someone one that was still legally married? He ran a scam game under the pretense of love and left me without a car and drained all of my monetary funds.

Boyfriend still legally married [ 7 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a 43 year old man (I'm 39) for about a year and we came together out of our own marriages. I was married for 5 years and have been legally separated for almost 11 months. The man I'm with now was married for 16 years and they have a 16 year old daughter. He is...

Legally married? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom was married in jamaica... she is going through a rough marriage and I was wondering if there was any possibility she is not legally married?? She had her drivers license swiped in a restaurant the other day and it came up her maiden name even though her married name is on her drivers...

View more questions Search