Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbyrne230 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Heartburn
    Hi, Last Saturday night I had burgers with mild chili flakes sprinkled on them before cooking. They tasted fine, not too spicy. I had bad heartburn that night. I took gaviscon and something to prevent acid reflux but it didn't work. The next day I found it difficult to eat and drink, even water. When the food or water gets to the breast bone, it hurts like mad. Feels like a blockage. I stopped eating and drinking for a day, just sipped water to stop becoming dehydrated. By yesterday (Tuesday) I could eat and drink again. I still felt it but it wasn't painful. Last night I ate at 8pm but didn't go to bed until midnight so I was a bit hungry. My stomach must have reacted to this as the heartburn came back, worse than ever. Today I could not eat or drink again without severe discomfort. Even a belch hurts. I think my oesophagus must be inflamed. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow but am reluctant as it costs sixty euro. Can anyone tell me if it will go away on its own or will I have to eat just before I go to bed for the rest of my life?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Spend the that sixty Euro... its NOT a lot of money.

People that have untreated gastric reflux can develop esophageal cancer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2013, 03:44 PM
    You could have a hiatal or esophageal hernia.

Aug 29, 2013, 03:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Spend the that sixty Euro...its NOT a lot of money.

People that have untreated gastric reflux can develop esophageal cancer.
    Ok thank you.

Aug 29, 2013, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You could have a hiatal or esophageal hernia.
    Thank you.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2013, 03:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyrne230 View Post
    Ok thank you.
    There is lesser things as well like Esophageal erosion etc... I know these things because I suffered from gastric reflux... they found out what was causing it... and its under control now.

Stomach acid is very powerful... you don't want it where its not designed to be.

Aug 29, 2013, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    There is lesser things as well like Esophageal erosion etc...I know these things because I suffered from gastric reflux....they found out what was causing it...and its under control now.

Stomach acid is very powerful...you don't want it where its not designed to be.
    Sorry you went through that Smoothy. I'm just back from the doctor and he said it was an inflammation of the valve at the top of my stomach caused by a tendency for heartburn and exacerbated by the spicy burgers. He's put me on tablets to dry up the stomach acid to give it a chance to heal. Thanks for encouraging me to go to the doctor Smoothy.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2013, 06:17 AM
    Glad to hear you ended up with probably the least severe of the problems, and it was caught early. This is one of those things that can become a vicious circle... where one thing causes another that in turn makes the original even worse and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heartburn [ 4 Answers ]

I have been prescribed prilosec for heartburn but should I be worried that I continue to have severe heartburn at least 2 to 3 times a day?

Heartburn cure [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a cure for heartburn?

Heartburn remedies? [ 7 Answers ]

I am tired of taking Rolaids, isn't there a more natural way to kick the heartburn with a bun in the oven?

Constant heartburn [ 25 Answers ]

For the past 6 months or maybe even longer, I have been getting heartburn 2-3 times a week. Some cases are mild while others are so uncomfortable. I don't feel the acid burn in my stomach but more in my esophogus area. I thought it strange that a 20 year old could get heartburn frequently as I do....

View more questions Search