Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Aug 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Thoughts/opinions/experiences with online school
    Wondering if anyone has had any experiences or strong opinions on online college? Because mostly what I've heard are bad things i.e. it's more difficult to graduate/pass and that online degrees aren't as reputable.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 27, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Have a read of this sticky: Click Here
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
    I attended an accredited University that has both campuses and online degrees for both my Undergrad and Graduate degrees. In fact I will be attending another University online in the near future. It is good if you want a degree that a local University does not have. For example I want a Forensic Accounting Degree, but most Colleges and Universities only have Accounting degrees and the University that actually has the degree I am interested in is at least an 8 hour drive away. I do not want to attend a campus that far away so I will take their classes online.

The 2 great things about learning online is that you attend class when you want to and you can attend wherever you are so there is no commuting to and from a campus. I can go online and post my coursework or my class discussion at 2 in the morning on a Saturday if I want to and I do not even have to get out of bed. Online classes offer the most flexibility for students that cannot attend school at a physical campus due to a variety of factors. For some classes I found online was a lot easier than a traditional class due to the live lectures that you can view as many times as needed and they showed you how to work problems step by step. Most of my Graduate level classes did not have live lectures so they were harder than a traditional class would have been.

The only negative that I found from taking classes online versus at a physical location is the lack of real-time interaction with fellow students and the Professor. If you have a question you have to email the Professor and then the Professor will have to email you back, which could take a day or two. Also it is harder to ask a question when you are trying to show a professor what you are stuck on, when doing an assignment.

You have to be a self motivated, a self learner, you have to make time for studying and make sure you follow the procedures for the school. At my school you have to post 3 times a week in the 2 threads for each subject you are taking and the first post in each thread has to be made by Wednesday. Also the posts have to be more than just a couple of sentences. If you followed that, then you would receive full points for classroom participation.

For me taking classes online was the best thing for me and the reason I got my degree online was the fact that the college I wanted to attend had a Graduate program, so I could finish my undergrad and continue on with my grad degree at the same college, but the college did not have a campus locally. When I graduated I was able to attend the graduation ceremony at any campus that I wanted.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
    One thing I forgot to mention is that with online classes you normally have Professors that work in the field that they teach. For an example in my tax accounting class my Professor had many decades of experience as a tax accountant and in my intro to fraud and forensic accounting classes my Professor was a Certified Fraud Examiner.

This is extremely beneficial because the Professor is current on the subject can use real-life cases or their experiences to help you understand the subject matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need thoughts/opinions/suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I am 27 years old, and have 1 child, almost a 3 yr old. I have always had a regular cycle even after my child was born. I normally start the 20th or 2st each month, and last for about 3-4 days. In January, I started on the 12th, and went for about 4-5 days, it was pretty light in comparison to most...

Need your opinions/thoughts on my situation [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I need your expert opinions or thoughts on my current situation. A little background information about my relationship. I'm 24 (I have a 2 year old son), and have been dating this girl (she's 18) for the last 7 months. I met her when she was 17 (about a week before her 18th...

P90X-Who Has tried it? Please share Experiences or thoughts... [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys. I recently started this P90-X workout-I'd say about two months ago and WHOA my body is amazing. I've lost a total of 17 lbs and I am still going strong everyday! I am only about 5 foot tall so I'm pretty small, but have had three children-pushing 30 and was not feeling nor looking so great...

Thoughts and Opinions Wanted... [ 2 Answers ]

I am not looking for a psychic reading... I just have a question and would like everyone's thoughts. I've been having some dreams lately of a person that was in my past. We had some unresolved issues. I've been dreaming that we are talking about things left unsaid. We are both very open in the...

EX girlfriend is abusing me! Thoughts? Opinions? [ 79 Answers ]

Hey All, Just stopping by to gripe a little so I do not break my NC. I would say its been about 8 weeks so far that me and my ex girl are broken up. She called my cousin because he got engaged and she also called my grandmother to say hi and all. We also have a few mutual friends that I still...

View more questions Search