Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2013, 03:11 AM
    So your former girlfriend is YOUR landlord, because she is the Lessee and is allowing you to live there.

If you have not signed a lease with your landlord (as you haven't), you are considered a month to month tenant. Under MS law only a one week notice is required for a month to month tenant. However, since there doesn't appear to be an agreement for rent and since her lease is annual, that may not apply. Again, a judge will have to interpret this.

IF she gives you a one week written notice and then files for an eviction order after the week is up, she might get it. If she tries to file without doing that, I doubt if she will get it. And a judge will allow you more time.
    bshaff Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So your former girlfriend is YOUR landlord, because she is the Lessee and is allowing you to live there.

If you have not signed a lease with your landlord (as you haven't), you are considered a month to month tenant. Under MS law only a one week notice is required for a month to month tenant. However, since there doesn't appear to be an agreement for rent and since her lease is annual, that may not apply. Again, a judge will have to interpret this.

IF she gives you a one week written notice and then files for an eviction order after the week is up, she might get it. If she tries to file without doing that, I doubt if she will get it. And a judge will allow you more time.
    I think she is trying to use Sec89-7-27 somehow. It says something about a 3 day notice? This is confusing

Aug 28, 2013, 05:09 AM
    I just re read that (Sec 89-7-27) and I don't see how that is justified.

The first part of that does not apply to you since you are not a holdover tenant. But the second part could apply, if there was a rental agreement. Did you have an agreement to pay rent? Have you been making those payments? You've never discussed that aspect of this which is really important info.

Aug 28, 2013, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I just re read that (Sec 89-7-27) and I don't see how that is justified.

The first part of that does not apply to you since you are not a holdover tenant. But the second part could apply, if there was a rental agreement. Did you have an agreement to pay rent? Have you been making those payments? You've never discussed that aspect of this which is really important info.
    No rent agreement she knew I lost my job so I very little money to start with, enough to keep us with cigs for a week. She told me don't worry she'll take care of everything just for me to help keep the place clean while I look for work. I've probably applied to at least 250+ jobs. Its been 6mos but her son hasn't found a job in 2 years.

Aug 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bshaff View Post
    No rent agreement she knew I lost my job so I very little money to start with, enough to keep us with cigs for a week. She told me don't worry she'll take care of everything just for me to help keep the place clean while I look for work. I've probably applied to atleast 250+ jobs. Its been 6mos but her son hasn't found a job in 2 years.
    See that's where I get confused cause I read it I can be removed with a 3 day notice & didn't see where after the 3 day the evicition starts. The way it looked to me was there was no eviction order from courts I don't know. But there was no rental agreement but to love each other, get married, & everything would work out.

Aug 28, 2013, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bshaff View Post
    See that's where I get confused cause I read it I can be removed with a 3 day notice & didn't see where after the 3 day the evicition starts. The way it looked to me was there was no eviction order from courts idk. But there was no rental agreement but to love each other, get married, & everything would work out.
    The first step in evicting a tenant (which you are considered) is to give them a written notice to vacate. That notice has to give a deadline to leave. That deadline can be 3 days IF you have violated the lease terms. Since you don't have a lease and there was no agreement for you to pay rent, then you didn't violate the lease so she can't use a 3 day notice. If she did, she would still have to go to court to obtain an eviction order when the deadline expires. This means a hearing. If it comes to a hearing, you explain the arrangement to the judge and claim you did not vacate because she didn't follow the law.

We have tried to stress this to you several times ; SHE CANNOT REMOVE YOU WITHOUT A COURT ORDER!. Just remember that. According to what you told us, you are working on vacating. So by the time she can get a court order you will be gone anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surprised by husband's statement [ 17 Answers ]

On August 6, I had a major open abdominal surgery with a hysterectomy and tubes and ovaries removed (I had a tumor on my ovary, thank goodness it was not cancer). While doing the surgery, my doctor took 17 pounds of fat, skin and omentum from my belly. Last Friday, going to my last postop visit...

So there's this guy.ohh are you surprised? [ 10 Answers ]

Guys.. at this point I'm thinking they should all burn in hell. Sorry guys. I'm just a little mad, bitter, extremely angry. I should start from the beginning right? Me and this butthole Of a guy went out for I don't know five or six dates. Well Wednesday he Brought me back home things were...

Anyone surprised by Clinton [ 6 Answers ]

Clinton who had led against all prospective GOP opponents earlier this year, a Zogby Poll shows, would lose to every one of the top five Republican presidential contenders if the election was held now. On the other hand, Barack Obama of Illinois and John Edwards of North Carolina would defeat or...

Anyone surprised by Thompson [ 9 Answers ]

For the record, I’m going with “fizzle,” not slide. Is there some media conspiracy to “get” Fred, or has he simply served up, chopped Liver?:p

View more questions Search