Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bshaff Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How did SHE do that.....if your name was on it then it was a legal contract and not even the landlord could do it without mutual agreement and YOU being there..

Stop believing what SHE says....its obvious that A:. she lie lieing to you and B: she doesn't have a clue what the law actually is.

You are legally a resident....and a tenant....and despite what her deluded mind believes....as long as you don't physically assault her.....you have to be served a 30 day notice in writing...and you still can't be forced to leave by anyone but the Sheriffs.
    Her & the landlord are friends. I wasn't there our asked anything so I don't know how or what they worked out. No violence here on my part, she is the verbal aggressor, I'm just keeping to myself trying to get ahold of family. The written thing does email count?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bshaff View Post
    Her & the landlord are friends. I wasn't there our asked anything so idk how or what they worked out. No violence here on my part, she is the verbal aggressor, I'm just keeping to myself trying to get ahold of family. The written thing does email count?
    She will likely provoke you... So do your best impersonation of Gandhi or Jesus Christ (or even Buddha) whatever it takes so YOU cover your butt above all.

If your name was on the Lease and it was removed without your consent during the term of the lease... I'm sure the court is going to really like to hear that stunt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2013, 03:33 PM
    If your name was on the Lease and it was removed without your consent during the term of the lease...I'm sure the court is going to really like to hear that stunt.
    Again, being on a lease specifically as an occupant, doesn't make one a signator. It means their name can be removed without consent. At least in my opinion. Doesn't mean he can just be put out though.

Aug 27, 2013, 03:37 PM
    She will likely provoke you.....So do your best impersonation of Gandhi or Jesus Christ (or even Buddha) whatever it takes so YOU cover your butt above all.

If your name was on the Lease and it was removed without your consent during the term of the lease...I'm sure the court is going to really like to hear that stunt.
    K but I'm not trying to stay where I'm not wanted any longer than I have to. I just thought 3 days wasn't enough time for my family to here with the work week & all. What do u mean the sheriff can move me out? Is that after the 30 days or less?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2013, 03:41 PM
    She has to evict you according to the very specific legal process in your state... She can not physically lock you out herself... she has to go to court for get the eviction enforced and only do that after she can prove she has given the legally required written notice... if she wins THEN the Sheriffs will come and put you out.

You should be able to get your family to come get you and your stuff before that all plays out.

Or get them to send you money to rent a U-haul and get friends to help you load the truck up. Which is an even better option.

Who knows what lies she might dream up before then you might have to defend yourself against.

Aug 27, 2013, 03:46 PM
    What smoothy said. Only if a court orders an eviction and you refuse to leave by the court ordered deadline, THEN she can hire a sheriff to physically remove you..

Aug 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What smoothy said. Only if a court orders an eviction and you refuse to leave by the court ordered deadline, THEN she can hire a sheriff to physically remove you..
    Family lives & work in NC so I don't know about them getting during the day on Friday to avoid all the conflict in court. But I'm hoping by 1st thing Sat. She is to worked up now to talk to her since she was out late last night. Maybe tomorrow she can without all the vulgar & anger "fingers crossed". I'm trying my best to get out of here this weekend.

Aug 27, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Family lives & work in NC so idk about them getting during the day on friday to avoid all the conflict in court. But I'm hoping by 1st thing Sat. She is to worked up now to talk to her since she was out late last night. Maybe tomorrow she can without all the vulgar & anger "fingers crossed". I'm trying my best to get out of here this weekend.
    What do I do if she does call the sheriff on Friday? I have the old lease & she has the 1 from today.

Aug 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
    What do I do if she does call the sheriff on Friday? I have the old lease & she has the 1 from today.
    We have explained this to you over and over. A sheriff will not do anything without a court order. To get a court order she has to follow the law and go to court for an eviction order. The law is on YOUR side, stop stressing about it and just make your plans to vacate as soon as you can. But don't go to extremes. Even if you have to wait until next weekend, she can't do anything.

Aug 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
    We have explained this to you over and over. A sheriff will not do anything without a court order. To get a court order she has to follow the law and go to court for an eviction order. The law is on YOUR side, stop stressing about it and just make your plans to vacate as soon as you can. But don't go to extremes. Even if you have to wait until next weekend, she can't do anything.
    K, thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:52 PM
    Again, being on a lease specifically as an occupant, doesn't make one a signator. It means their name can be removed without consent. At least in my opinion. Doesn't mean he can just be put out though.
    Agreed. As I understand it, the lease reads something like this:

"Lease of Premises:
    It is hereby agreed between [Ex GF], the "lessee" and ___, the "landlord", that lessee will rent from landlord the within described premises, for a period of ...

The following persons will be occupants of the premises:
    [Ex GF]
    [OP]
    [Ex GF's son]
    Signed: ___X___ (lessee)
    Signed: ___X___(landord) "

So the lease can be re-written or modified without OP's consent.

If that's the way the lease is written, OP would be a month-to-month subtenant of the Ex GF.

Aug 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Agreed. As I understand it, the lease reads something like this:

"Lease of Premises:
    It is hereby agreed between [Ex GF], the "lessee" and ___, the "landlord", that lessee will rent from landlord the within described premises, for a period of ...

The following persons will be occupants of the premises:
    [Ex GF]
    [OP]
    [Ex GF's son]
    Signed: ___X___ (lessee)
    Signed: ___X___(landord) "

So the lease can be re-written or modified without OP's consent.

If that's the way the lease is written, OP would be a month-to-month subtenant of the Ex GF.
    It is very similar.
    Does that change the allotted time to vacate?
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 06:19 PM
    It is very similar.
    No. As others have told you, it varies from state to state, but she probably has to give you a 30-day notice to quit, in writing. At Post # 20 in this thread , ScottGem gave you this link to Mississippi law. If that's where you are, review that post.

As I interpret the information he linked to, it is not clear what period is required. But I would guess it to be 30 days.

Is that where you are?

Aug 27, 2013, 06:22 PM
    No. As others have told you, it varies from state to state, but she probably has to give you a 30-day notice to quit, in writing. As I recall someone earlier in this thread gave you a link to Mississippi law, as I recall. If that's where you are, review that post.
    Thank you

Aug 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
    It is very similar.
    Yes, please re read my post. Again, this is subject to interpretation. Because you are a month to month tenant of the lessee, that may allow her to give you one weeks notice. On the other hand, because the lease was for a year, she may be required to give you 60 days notice.

I'm not really sure how a court will rule. But, again, she can't force you out without a court order. And if she goes to court without giving you proper notice she will, likely, lose.

Aug 27, 2013, 06:31 PM
    No. As others have told you, it varies from state to state, but she probably has to give you a 30-day notice to quit, in writing. At Post # 20 in this thread , ScottGem gave you this link to Mississippi law. If that's where you are, review that post.

As I interpret the information he linked to, it is not clear what period is required. But I would guess it to be 30 days.

Is that where you are?
    Yes it is

Aug 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Yes, please re read my post. Again, this is subject to interpretation. Because you are a month to month tenant of the lessee, that may allow her to give you one weeks notice. On the other hand, because the lease was for a year, she may be required to give you 60 days notice.

I'm not really sure how a court will rule. But, again, she can't force you out without a court order. And if she goes to court without giving you proper notice she will, likely, lose.
    It is a little confusing with all the terms

Aug 27, 2013, 06:42 PM
    What terms do you need clarification about?

Aug 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
    What terms do you need clarification about?
    Its just the way its worded back & forth & kind of flipped around from tenant, lessee to landlord. Then on the side in red options of 3 day & 7 day not sure which 1 applies
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Its just the way its worded back & forth & kind of flipped around from tenant, lessee to landlord. Then on the side in red options of 3 day & 7 day not sure which 1 applies
    The landlord owns the place. This person also can be called the "lessor", because he or she rents or "leases" it to somebody.

That somebody would be the tenant. Another term for this is a "lessee", particularly in the case of a written contract between the landord and the tenant. Such a contract is called a "lease".

In many states, there are two minimum types of written notice which must be given before a landlord can go to court and get an order evicting the tenant they are typically (although, as we have noted, there are different periods in some states, in Mississippi for example):
    1. a 3-day "pay or quit" notice; and
    2. a 30-day "notice to quit".

I don't think the 3-day notice would pertain here, because as I understand it there isn't any rent due at all.

So, in the absence of an agreement to pay anything on a monthly, weekly, quarterly, or yearly basis, the 30-day written notice would probably be what is required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surprised by husband's statement [ 17 Answers ]

On August 6, I had a major open abdominal surgery with a hysterectomy and tubes and ovaries removed (I had a tumor on my ovary, thank goodness it was not cancer). While doing the surgery, my doctor took 17 pounds of fat, skin and omentum from my belly. Last Friday, going to my last postop visit...

So there's this guy.ohh are you surprised? [ 10 Answers ]

Guys.. at this point I'm thinking they should all burn in hell. Sorry guys. I'm just a little mad, bitter, extremely angry. I should start from the beginning right? Me and this butthole Of a guy went out for I don't know five or six dates. Well Wednesday he Brought me back home things were...

Anyone surprised by Clinton [ 6 Answers ]

Clinton who had led against all prospective GOP opponents earlier this year, a Zogby Poll shows, would lose to every one of the top five Republican presidential contenders if the election was held now. On the other hand, Barack Obama of Illinois and John Edwards of North Carolina would defeat or...

Anyone surprised by Thompson [ 9 Answers ]

For the record, I’m going with “fizzle,” not slide. Is there some media conspiracy to “get” Fred, or has he simply served up, chopped Liver?:p

View more questions Search