Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VincentS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 05:51 AM
    How to file for divorce from out of state and don't have spouse's address
    My spouse and I have been living in different states for the past 7 years. From what I hear she lives with a man in St. Louis and has a child with him. How can I file for divorce from the state of Texas. I have no address on her and can't find one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 06:40 AM
    You file where you are now living, not where you were married.

You will need to try and locate him, but each court has its own standards on how and what they require. Easiest way, hire a local divorce attorney who will file where you live.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2013, 06:09 PM
    Commonly, when a spouse cannot be found, notice of the petitition for dissolution being filed is published several times. If there is no response to the publication, the attorney moves the court to set a date for default prove-up (the hearing when everything is finalized). If the judge agrees to the default prove up, they finalize the divorce without the partner being involved. The court may reserve determination on some issues, or may rule on everything. You need a lawyer because you must meet all the requirements completely to get a default ruling. If a spouse cannot be found, I've seen divorced go very quickly and easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file for divorce while living in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Married but live different state for 3 years, how do I file for divorce?

If I live in va and my spouse lives in ct, where do file divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I live in va. My spouse currently resides in ct. We have been separated since feb. 2001. Do I need to get him to file paperwork in ct? Or can I file paperwork in va? Which is the best, fastest and cheapest route to take?

Need to file for divorce but don't know his address [ 1 Answers ]

I need to file for divorce since I am engaged. The problem is I haven't seen by husband in over 13 years. We have no property or children together. I do not know where he is at. Last known address was in Jersey City, NJ. Did a people search online but no success. Can someone please tell me if...

Divorce pending - Spouse Moved out of state w/kids [ 4 Answers ]

Divorce is pending but spouse moved 900 miles away with both kids w/o telling me. What do I do now. They are 900 miles away making it financially almost impossible for me to see them. Can court get her to pay for travel expenses for the kids since it was her idea to move so far away.

No ITIN for H4 spouse, how to file state taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have been working in California for entire 2006. During October 2006 I changed my status from F1 (OPT) to H1B. I got married in December outside US and returned to US along with my wife (H4 visa) in 3rd week of December. 1. As per information on IRS web site and other sources...

View more questions Search