Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramble37 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No, you have not gotten the correct advice. Ask a criminal lawyer or a prosecutor. Then you might get the correct advice.

In the meantime, we will post the correct advice so someone else reading this thread won't make the mistakes you want. to.

I will repeat. He OWNS the car. Whether you can be prosecuted for theft is highly questionable. Whether the police will even take a report of a theft is also questionable. Whether he will be able to recover the car in court is NOT questionable.
    Again, thanks ScottGem for Y'r clarification! Although you may be correct, it's other facts that will come up in court, like my car being traded in for this car... Which was in my name... My main concern was being pulled over & charged with vehicle theft... Court I'm not worried about as I now what my chances are in keeping the car... U have been very informative thanks again!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
    Let us know how it goes.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Plates mean NOTHING... you will never be able to sell or trade the car... ever... he can come take it whenever he wants and there is NOTHING you can do to stop him...

Registering a car and owning it are two very different things. You can register anyone's car that lets you... doesn't mean you own it and they can't take it back anytime they want. Because they can.

But then... you don't want to hear the facts... try getting a job with a criminal record if this ends up in a court. Because if it does... You are going to be on the losing end.

If it was my car... trust me , you wouldn't have it right now... no matter what you might want to believe.

Whether they might consider it grand theft auto or not... it will definitely be considered Unauthorized use of a motor Vehicle.

He might have given you permission to use it before now... but he is entitled to revoke that permission at any time.

You are going to love the big numbers on your insurance bills after that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramble37 View Post
    it's other facts that will come up in court, like my car being traded in for this car... Which was in my name...
    Another piece of important info you neglected to tell us. That might help, but I doubt if it will counter the fact the car was in his name. It may, however, allow you to recover the trade in value of your car.

My main concern was being pulled over & charged with vehicle theft...
    And that's still a possibility. I don't know how big your town is or how big the police force. But lets say he reports the theft to the state rather then local cops. A report may still go out and still result in your being stopped and even charged. But its unlikely you will be prosecuted.

And I believe you owe everyone who responded an apology for your attitude.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Howie Mandell (Deal or No Deal, America's Got Talent, etc) told a story about his space cadet daughter. She called him all upset that her car had been stolen, so he told her he'd handle it - and he did. Then she found where she had really parked it, neglected to tell her dad, and went off to dinner with her boyfriend. She knew he was going to propose that night at the restaurant. All of a sudden she was yanked out of her car by cops and cuffed behind her back. She thought that was part of the game, and stuck out her ring finger for the 'cop' to put a ring on. At the sight of her wiggling finger, he threw her to the ground and kneeled on her back. Right out in front of a posh restaurant!
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Scott.. also a huge factor here... he has the right to revoke his permission for use of the car... doesn't matter if the tags are in her name or not.

I've been in such a position before... where I insured, registered and drove my brothers car while the title remained in his name. No he didn't revoke permission but he could have.

If she gets drunk... goes out and kills someone and her insurance limits aren't sufficient... guess who they go after for the rest? The legal owner of the vehicle. HIM.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
    The scales are tipped in the bf's favor on so many levels. A friend of mine borrowed his live in gf's car. Took me and his friends down the street. She called the police, they had us on the ground with cuffs so fast. Fortunately they only retained my friend. If you are no longer living at the same address that is one more point in his favor.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 03:47 PM
    I don't believe the scales were ever in her favor... the name on the title means everything except in a divorce proceeding when property gets divided... and this isn't one of those cases.
    Ramble37 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Another piece of important info you neglected to tell us. That might help, but I doubt if it will counter the fact the car was in his name. It may, however, allow you to recover the trade in value of your car.

And that's still a possibility. I don't know how big your town is or how big the police force. But lets say he reports the theft to the state rather then local cops. A report may still go out and still result in your being stopped and even charged. But its unlikely you will be prosecuted.

And I believe you owe everyone who responded an apology for your attitude.
    I thanked everyone for their advice & I'll leave it at that. Scott U've been at least to the point & haven't made any judgement calls on my behalf, besides this last moment. So if I offended U or anyone that was just giving advice & not judging my mental or personal conduct I'm sorry. However some of other comments left on this thread were not just advice it almost sound like scare tactics! But then again that's my opinion & I thank everyone for theirs! I myself am done with this thread and will not respond anymore as I feel secure in what I've done to protect myself... Good night all!! 😘
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
    I thanked everyone for their advice & I'll leave it at that. Scott U've been at least to the point & havent made any judgement calls on my behalf, besides this last moment. So if I offended U or anyone that was just giving advice & not judging my mental or personal conduct I'm sorry. However some of other comments left on this thread were not just advice it almost sound like scare tactics! But then again that's my opinion & I thank everyone for theirs! I myself am done with this thread and will not respond anymore as I feel secure in what I've done to protect myself... Good night all!!! ��
    What a crock... I recommend carrying a phone number of a lawyer in your purse, and warn them they might get a call after hours... you are going to need it when you find out we were rght and you were wrong...

You are the one passing judgements... WE are stating the facts to you... don't whine to us if you end up getting booked and spending a night in jail at some point... if I was the boyfriend and it was my car... you certainly would be..

He might have more mercy.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee... you aren't entitled to everything you want or even think you are owed in life. And people that take it anyway frequently end up in the prison system.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 05:02 PM
    I'm glad I didn't listen to any of you guys, You clearly no nothing about state to state laws. I took it upon myself to call the state police & it turns out if I took the car it's nothing he can do except take me to court! Turns out because it was a gift & we have the same legal residency & I have the vanity plates in my name & am on the insurance I can't be taken into custody, & they can not take the car from me even if he reports it stolen!!!! Thanks anyway for all of U'r WRONG ADVICE!!! Smooches
    After having read the whole thread to be sure, I would point out that OP (unless I missed it) never indicated which state she is in. Thus her comment suggesting that the other contributors " clearly no (sic) nothing about state to state laws" was particularly unwarranted.

In her latest post she promised, as I understand, not to come back. That's unfortunate. I for one would have a laugh if I were to read that she had been arrested for stealing the car, or if he had repossessed it. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
    The county jail probably won't have Internet for the prisoners to use if she wanted to tell us how right we are after she finds out... so we wouldn't know until she got released.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 05:08 PM
    I remember a Judge Judy case just identical to this and she yelled the girl right out of her court.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 05:10 PM
    I think someone is in for a rude awakening soon if she doesn't have an epiphany and grasp what we've all been telling her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2013, 05:11 PM
    I thanked everyone for their advice & I'll leave it at that. Scott U've been at least to the point & haven't made any judgement calls on my behalf, besides this last moment. So if I offended U or anyone that was just giving advice & not judging my mental or personal conduct I'm sorry. However some of other comments left on this thread were not just advice it almost sound like scare tactics! But then again that's my opinion & I thank everyone for theirs! I myself am done with this thread and will not respond anymore as I feel secure in what I've done to protect myself... Good night all!! 😘
    I suggest you look at things from our side. We are all volunteers here who donate our time and expertise to help others. Most of us also take a good deal of pride in the quality of our advice.

So you come here and post a question. Several of us take the time to try and help you with good and accurate advice. Rather than thank us for our efforts this is what you said:

I'm glad I didn't listen to any of you guys, You clearly no nothing about state to state laws.
    Not only did you put down our advice, but you refer to asking the police advice about the law. Something most of us know is not the best idea. And the advice you tell us you got is not the most legally accurate. But since its was what you wanted to hear, you accepted it and denigrated our advice. And to top things off, you start dropping little tidbits of fact that would have made at least some small difference in our advice.

And you wonder why some of his did not take kindly to your response! I'm not saying I agree completely with the way some responded, but I do understand it. So if anyone is to blame for the reactions you received, you need to look at your own responses.

However, I see there is no point in continuing this So I'm closing this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ex boyfriend bought me a car as a gift and now he wants to take it back. [ 2 Answers ]

Can an ex boyfriend take the car he bought as a gift for me cause we broke up. The car was bought on finance not sure what that really means,all I know it was bought and given to me as a gift and even registered in my names and insurance,taxs are all my responsibility. He insured himself on as a...

Can is it legal someone to buy a car as a gift for u and decide to take it back [ 1 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend bought me a car as a gift through finance, The car is registered in my names, he said at the time that this the proof that it's mine since he still paying for it monthly I can't get the title, but now since we broke up he wants the car back, can he really do this. I'm Just confused...

Gift tax on car paid [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim the gift tax paid by me on a car which I have won in a contest.plaease do reply

Car as a gift [ 4 Answers ]

My husband's parents gave us one of their cars about a month ago because our 2 year old has autism and will be traveling a lot. They suggested that we turn our car in due to the high payment and mileage and we did so. They later asked for grandparent custody of our 9 month old and we refused. ...

Car received as a gift - legally can I keep it? [ 2 Answers ]

I was with my Boyfriend from Feb 08 until July 08, in this short time my boyfriend bought me a car with cash withdrawn from his credit card. I picked the car, the car was put into my name on the log book, I am solely insured for the car, which I paid a small percentage of but my boyfriend paid the...

View more questions Search