Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1cashking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2013, 11:18 PM
    Sub panel grounding at a different building
    I would like to put a sub panel 800' from the main panel.
    I have 2 hots and a ground. Would like to know if I need to drive a ground rod and treat it as a separate service with 2 hots a neutral and a ground
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2013, 08:46 AM
    Consider calling a professional... you will need to do some homework
    Before this project is successful.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Well the simple answer to your question is that you need to install a complete grounding system at the remote building.

Then you will need to bring a four wire feed from the main service panelboard to the remote building.

At the remote building, the incoming "Neutral" cannot be bonded to the remote panelboard.

At 800' you may be in a cost prohibitive area. For example, if you want to bring 60 "Working" amps to this building you would need 4/0 copper conductors. I have no idea what the cost would be in your area but I'll bet it isn't cheap.

Aluminum is certainly less expensive than copper but still it would be a big hit dollar wise.

You might be wiser to see if the POCO will set up a nearby transformer for you or look into solar power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding a circuit panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing an old circuit panel with a newer circuit panel with a 100 amp main breaker in it. Do I have to run a ground pole in to the earth and run bare copper wire to the circuit panel?

Proper grounding of a sub panel [ 3 Answers ]

Where in the NEC 2008 are the instructions for the proper grounding of a sub panel within the same residential building?

Sub Panel Grounding [ 13 Answers ]

How about if there are only 3 wires in a conduit. Can it be used only as 110v and take one of the hot wires, wrap it with green tape and use it as the equipment ground? An inspector also told me if the panel is in a separate detached building, a ground rod could be used and then you would treat...

Grounding to Electrical Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I have two 200 Amp meters on a pedistal 10' away from my house foundation. Each will be connected to their own 200 Amp breaker panel with 2" PVC. What is the NEC code for grounding each of these panels. Must each have their own ground rod with #4 bare or can I come from one Ground rod to another 6'...

View more questions Search