Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLBILL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Do exhaust pipes from bathrooms ever leak?
    I have seen small water stains on the ceilings of my home. Just above these stains are 2-inch exhaust pipes from bathrooms. Do these exhaust pipes ever have water in them or can condensation be an issue?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
    Exhaust pipes? Vents perhaps? They themselves rarely leak but the rubber sealing boots get cracks and the sun degenerates the rubber. I just had to replace one that was leaking in my house. Same problem, water stain on the ceiling.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
    If the pipe boot is bad you can seal it with roofing cement.

Chuck
    JLBILL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 04:31 AM
    Thanks so much for your reply.

A roofer has been out. He replaced the boot and put on a "U" cap to keep any rain water out. He also put tar (roofing cement?) all around the boot. The plumber said the hole in the plywood under the roof shingles where the pipe goes out is unusually big.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire 2 separate bathrooms sharing one exhaust fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am working at a job where the mens and women's bathroom lighting is 277 v and share one exhaust fan that is 120v I need each lighting switch to control the exhaust fan at the same time with out using two switches. Any ideas?

Leak in bathrooms [ 10 Answers ]

I was washing clothes and noticed a bubbling sound coming from the master bathroom. I noticed water standing around the bottom of the toilet all over the floor. I then noticed standing water in my shower about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. When I shut off the water to the toilet it seemed to start to...

Shower Leak and toilet leak in different bathrooms [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Leak 1. Last week I noticed a water stain in my ceiling below my shower. The stain is about 1 foot to the left of where the drain would be. The stain on my ceiling is in the shape of an "L" . Leak 2. I hope this is unrealated to Leak 1. There is a stain on my ceiling which I...

Bathrooms shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 bathrooms only separated by a wall. It is on a slab. Now when we run either shower the water comes up from the floor between the floor and wall. It is like a flood. I thought it was the connection between the shower head and wall that I need to recaulk it. But in one shower we have a hand...

Upstairs leak from bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an upstairs leak emitting from both bathrooms whenever the tubs are used... and seemingly when the toilets are used, also (if that's possible?). I'm also concerned about some loud popping noises that seem to be coming from the waste pipes... and sometimes a 'howling' noise... this could...

View more questions Search