Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodgdog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Boot disk
    I received a new computer with XP operating system. While I was loading programs the system crashed and lost the windows/system32 file and would not boot up. I looked for the recovery disk in the box, none found, so I had to do a complete install. Can I create a bootable recovery disk for this machine in case this happens again? I could not find a utility for this in XP.
    Rodgdog
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 6, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Boot disc
    Have a look at http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpboot.html and

Read the page carefully,before/if you decide to download the file.

Please note that the download on offer is for Home edition of XP only,and NOT the Professional edition!

If you have the Professional Edition,or just want to create a boot disc rather than go to the above web site,then follow the instructions below.

Place a floppy disc in PC drive.Open my Computer and right click the A:drive and click Format.

In the Format window check 'create an MS-DOS startup disc.Click start.

When finished,remove disc from drive and keep it safe.

Just out of interest,to boot to a DOS prompt your PC needs the minimum 3 files:

Command.com
    Io.sys
    Msdos.sys

All the best,
    Nez. :)
    rodgdog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
    Boot Disk
    I do not have a floppy drive. Can I create a bootable CD or can I use my smart card drive as a floppy?
    Rodgdog
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Most new comnputers come with the ability to create a bootable recovery or OS CD. You need to check with the manufacturer of your machine on how to do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

Disk Boot Failure [ 7 Answers ]

I'm running Win 98 on my spare PC and never get a problem until tonight, when I switched on, a message appeared as follows: "Boot fron Atapi CD-ROM Failure. Insert System Disk and press Enter" I switched the PC off then on again and eveything is fine. I'm concerned that it may happen again, what...

Loaded Wrong Boot Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I just reformatted my hard drive and downloaded the boot disk ffrom the Microsoft website, except I downloaded Windows XP Home edition and I needed the Pro edition. I have the boot disk for the pro edition, but do I have to reformat again before I load the new boot disk or can I just restart...

View more questions Search