Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chris_d811 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
    LOUD noise right after flush
    Just started yesterday and we have lived in this house a year. When we flush a grinding noise happens for about 2-3 seconds. Need to know what to do and can't afford a plumber. Please help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
    Which ballcock do you have? If it's the one on the right then this might help. Let me know.
    : Good morning Pat, There are a few things that would cause this problem. First make sure the lever is free and not hanging up letting water seep past the flapper. Then check the linkage between the flapper and the flush lever, When the tank is full you should have at least 1/4" of play. I have found this vibration occurs when a very small amount of water is seeping past the flapper causing the ballcock to open just far enough to cause vibration between tha ballcock washer and the seat causing the pipes to pick it up and amplify it. This noise will stop when you jiggle the handle thus seating the flapper firmly. You might also check the edge of your flapper. If it has wavey edges, replace it. Also this can happen if the tank level's too high and the water's leaking into the overflow tube. Check the tank level. it should be 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube. Hope this answers your question. Tom
    Attached Images

Chris_d811 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Hi Tom, we have the diagram on the left. Can you explain what I need to do in that instance? Thanks so much, Chris & Dan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 AM
    You have a FluidMaster ball cock. Shut the water off to the toilet and twist the top off the ball cock. As per illustration. Now remove the washer and place a pan over the opened ball cock. Turn the water back on close to a moment to flush out the supply. Reassemble and give it a flush. Better now? Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher Makes Loud noise - NOT A GRINDING NOISE [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore undercounter dishwasher. It is Model # 66517512200, Serial # FM2505224. The pump makes very loud noise not a grinding type of noise but a loud noise similar to that of a vacuum cleaner. The noise gets louder and varies in pitch when pumping out the waste water . Can you...

When I flush the toilet in the basement it makes a loud noise but if I turn on thewat [ 1 Answers ]

Flushing the toilet in the basement making a loud noise,if I turn on the faucet when I ;m flushing the toilet no noise any suggestion?Thanks.

Flush toilet pipes make loud noise [ 2 Answers ]

Lately after I flush the upstairs toilet only, there is a delay of about 10-20 seconds and then it sounds like a pipe or something makes this loud jack hammer until the toilet shuts off and the tank fills up. Why is this happening?

Why is my heat pump noise making a loud noise? [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my heat pump sounded like a lawn mower running. It's coming from the outside and it was loud enough for me to think someone had generator running in my back yard.

Loud Noise When I Flush [ 2 Answers ]

I have this same problem, the noise is like a droning noise, right from pressing the toilet flush button until the cistern is full. It can be very loud like a foghorn or quieter and more rumbly. If you turn on the cold tap the noise stops but as soon as you turn if off the noise starts again. ...

View more questions Search