Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ram chandru Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Foreign income reporting
    I am an Indian National and I have been in US on F1 since Aug 2001.
    My F1 expired on June 2006 and I was on OPT till my H1 began in Oct 2006 (havent got H1 stamped as yet).
    I had filed 1040NR for the past five years but read that after 5 years, I should start filing as a resident. Is this correct, do I file as resident for 2006? Also, the other main question is that I had been on an internship from Jan-Mar 2006 in UK while I was still on my F1. I don't know if I should report this income in my taxes. I was taxed in UK anyway and I don't know if I should present that income again here to be taxed?

Someone responded earlier mentioning that I should file as resident and present my foreign income and take foreign credit. In that case I am still left with some questions:
    1. Should I report it in the "other income" question? Wouldn't that lead to me being taxed for it again? Is there a specific exchange rate that I am supposed to use to convert the income in pound to $ ?
    2. When I left for the internship while on F1, I was told at school that I was allowed a maximum absence of 5 months from US while on F1 to maintain my status; so my doing an internship for 3 months outside the country was more like a vacation for their records and they didn't even have to (work) authorize me for that. Does this mean that I can also choose not to report the income from that intership outside US?
    This would just make my taxes complicated. So I am trying to see if I really need to mention this foreign income, given that I have already been taxed for it!

Please... Any help to these questions would be very very helpful.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
    For tax purposes, your F-1 exemption expired on31 December 2005.

So, for 2006, you are a resident alien. Hence, you must report ALL world-wide income earned in 2006, be it earned in the U.S. UK, or the moon, for that matter.

You should claim the Foreign Tax Credit for the taxes you paid to the U.K. Use Form 1116 for that purpose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Reporting income less than $600, not reported on 1099 MISC [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for a company and earned less than $600 so they did not send me a 1099. Do I have to report this income anyway?

Marriage and Foreign Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an U.S. resident alien and will live in and have income from U.S. all year of 2006. I am planning to marry someone (in the middle of 2006) who live in and have income from Hong Kong all year of 2006. 1) What will be my filing status of tax year 2006? 2) If it's "married", am I...

Reporting interest income on 1040NR-EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I have read most of tax related topics in this forum and I feel this is a very helpful forum. I need your advise on my status: I was a student until April-2005 (Originally I came on F-1 status in Aug-01), my OPT was started in May-05 and I got job in August-05, my H1-B start date is...

Please help with numerical (income measurement & reporting) accounting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the following problems. Can someone please help me with these problems. I really need some help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 1) During a recent period a real estate development company using the installment method of revenue recognition used a 40% gross profit...

View more questions Search