Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RStevenson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Water Heater
    City recently installed back flow. Shortly thereafter my water failed. The reset... upper thermostat was replaced. Water heater performed for about a week then failed again.

Could the additional pressure be causing the problem? Would installing expansion tank and replacing upper thermostat remedy problem?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Has anyomne checked to see exactlty how much water pressure you have now?
    RStevenson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Water pressure has not been checked. My water heater is 20 years old. I had not had any issues until black flow was installed. I was hoping to avoid replacing water heater.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 09:54 AM
    The reset is for over temperature safety device. Separate from upper thermostat. If it and upper thermostat was replaced a unit, replace lower thermostat. If over temperature device alone was replace, replace one thermostat then the other, if necessary. Don't know how to tell which one is failing if over temperature device is turning off water heater intermittently.

Water pressure not a factor. If T&P (temperature and Pressure) valve begin releasing water then installation of expansion tank will be necessary
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
    "City recently installed back flow."...

This usually requires installation of an expansion tank as pointed out by Hkstroud. Did the "City" guys even discuss or inform people that this might be needed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water heater nipples leak at the union of the water heater. Not the flex lines. [ 2 Answers ]

We installed a water heater and we attached the nipples using sealing tape. The nipples leak where attached to the heater. The threads are clean and even on the nipples and feel the same on the inside of the water heater. What could be causing them to leak?

No or very slow hot water from gas water heater, heater makes lot of sounds [ 1 Answers ]

There is problem with our hot water system, not getting hot water while as cold water is OK. Starting hot water there is lot of explosion sort of sounds from water cylinder and hot water will start dribbling and stops after some time.

Water heater leak (cold side only) where the nipple meets the water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a water heater and completely installed it. When I turned on the water supply, a very very very slow drip can be observed where the cold water nipple screws into the water heater. I shut off the water, relieved the pressure and unscrewed the nipple. I then re-apply the teflon tape...

Tankless water heater versus regular water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know basic water heater tank maintenance

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search