Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shonta76 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Hypertension
    Please help me understand if I have hypertension last Thursday my readings was 205/143 when I was going for oral surgery they wouldn't perform surgery cause it was to high they said I need to see a doctor..
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 04:55 AM
    Un yeah.. but the numbers that matter more are what they are normally... without stressors. They always rise under stress. However they might only go that high if you are being chased by a Grizzly bear in the deep woods.

You do need to see a doctor... and soon. Those are far above what they should be... nearly twice as high.

Hypertension is the silent killer... no symptoms at all before you have a stroke or heart attack. Other than your blood pressure readings.

Aug 22, 2013, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Un yeah.....,but the numbers that matter more are what they are normally.....without stressors. They always rise under stress.

You do need to see a doctor...and soon. Those are far above what they should be.....nearly twice as high.
    I have made an appt with my doctor on Tuesday of next week that's the earliest she can see me.. I'm so afraid that if I do have hypertension how do I keep it away from me.. I exercise an I try to eat healthy as I can..
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 22, 2013, 05:02 AM
    You need the proverbial 'note from a doctor' saying you are OK for sedation and oral surgery. It's a bit more than just the blood pressure reading. The doctor might give you a medication, and a starting one might be a diuretic.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shonta76 View Post
    I have made an appt with my doctor on Tuesday of next week that's the earliest she can see me..I'm so afraid that if I do have hypertension how do I keep it away from me..I exercise an I try to eat healthy as I can..
    They will put you on one of the various medications to treat it. And for most people it can be controlled. Be thankful you found it now.

I myself have it... though my numbers are far lower than yours. It still needed treatment.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:07 AM
    Are you avoiding salt, high calorie foods and alcohol?
    Foods that may be beneficial
    Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Foods That Will Bring Your Blood Pressure Down
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Are you avoiding salt, high calorie foods and alcohol?
    Foods that may be beneficial
    Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Foods That Will Bring Your Blood Pressure Down
    Their blood pressure is almost twice what it should be... no diet will fix their problem... though diet and exercise will help people that are near borderline.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:12 AM
    I have made an appt with my doctor on Tuesday of next week that's the earliest she can see me..I'm so afraid that if I do have hypertension how do I keep it away from me..I exercise an I try to eat healthy as I can..
    What is your age... that would give us an idea of how much too high it is... (the younger you are the worse those numbers actually are).. though its clear they are still way too high.

Aug 22, 2013, 05:14 AM
    They will put you on one of the various medications to treat it. And for most people it can be controlled. Be thankful you found it now.

I myself have it......though my numbers are far lower than yours. It still needed treatment.
    Yes I'm thankful that they did tell me an glad that I was able to make an appt with my doctor.. it do run on both sides of my family but I want to avoid it much as possible if I can. Sorry to hear that you have it I wouldn't want that for anyone

Aug 22, 2013, 05:16 AM
    What is your age......that would give us an idea of how much too high it is.....(the younger you are the worse those numbers actually are)..though its clear they are still way too high.
    My age is 37 my weight is 200 I think I'm either over weight or just eating the wrong foods
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:21 AM
    My age is 37 my weight is 200 I think I'm either over weight or just eating the wrong foods
    None of those are the reason for numbers that high...

90 on the low side would still be high for you age and require treatment... you have 143...

With treatment that lower number... would be in the 70's. Maybe low 80's.

People that have hypertension the lower number will be higher... and it damages the viens and arteries.

Read these links to help understand better.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...64_Article.jsp

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/HI00043

Mine varied from 90-95 and that was enough to require treatment... and I started in my early 40's. After it rose a point or two a year until it was clear it was time to act.

Your doctor will explain all of this to you when you see them.
    jack of many Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 05:21 AM
    As a nurse, I can assure you that the numbers you stated as your BP are definitely an indication of High BP. Physicians usually allow some elevation in the BP as attributable to "white coat syndrome" or the anxiety of being in a doctors office. But the numbers you stated are well beyond that. If you have access to one, try taking your BP upon waking in the morning and throughout the day a few times. Always after having been inactive for a while. Don't move while the reading is taking place and don't cross your legs. Be comfortable and relax. If the readings are consistently above 140/80 - or if either number is elevated regularly, odds are you need to be seen. Don't put it off - High blood pressure is "The Silent Killer"

Aug 22, 2013, 05:24 AM
    Their blood pressure is almost twice what it should be......no diet will fix their problem...though diet and exercise will help people that are near borderline.
    I do my best to avoid salt an fried foods.. I bake everything now I only eat fish an poultry I do eat plenty of vegetables as much as I can.. I have gone from eating chocolate an drinking coffee to eating dark chocolate an drinking fresh brew Chia tea.. so do you think I'm doing it wrong?

Aug 22, 2013, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack of many View Post
    As a nurse, I can assure you that the numbers you stated as your BP are definitely an indication of High BP. Physicians usually allow some elevation in the BP as attributable to "white coat syndrome" or the anxiety of being in a doctors office. But the numbers you stated are well beyond that. If you have access to one, try taking your BP upon waking in the morning and throughout the day a few times. Always after having been inactive for a while. Don't move while the reading is taking place and don't cross your legs. Be comfortable and relax. If the readings are consistently above 140/80 - or if either number is elevated regularly, odds are you need to be seen. Don't put it off - High blood pressure is "The Silent Killer"
    Thank you so much I'm just afraid an I know that don't help by worring about something that I don't understand I don't want it to be true but if that's what it is then I need to act fast.. Please do you know of anything I can do at home until my doctor appt on Tuesday?
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:32 AM
    I do my best to avoid salt an fried foods..I bake everything now I only eat fish an poultry I do eat plenty of vegetables as much as I can..I have gone from eating chocolate an drinking coffee to eating dark chocolate an drinking fresh brew Chia tea..so do you think I'm doing it wrong?
    You can be a triathelon atheliete and still get hypertension... Diet and exercise can only effect so much... genetics and environment play a larger factor.

Depending on which medications you end up having to use... if you are lucky the common ones will do it... and those are cheap... real cheap... they only move to the more expensive ones if you have side effects or they aren't effective.

Aug 22, 2013, 05:34 AM
    None of those are the reason for numbers that high......

90 on the low side would still be high for you age and require treatment....you have 143...

With treatment that lower number....would be in the 70's. maybe low 80's.

People that have hypertension the lower number will be higher...and it damages the viens and arteries.

Read these links to help understand better.

Understanding Blood Pressure Readings

Blood pressure chart: What your reading means - MayoClinic.com

Mine varied from 90-95 and that was enough to require treatment....and I started in my early 40's. after it rose a point or two a year until it was clear it was time to act.

Your doctor will explain all of this to you when you see them.
    Thank you so much I will be looking at those sites right now.. I need all the help I can get at this point.. I can't even sleep right cause I'm afraid of having a stroke or heart attack in my sleep
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 05:37 AM
    In most cases it can easily be controlled... hopefully you will fall under one of those "most cases".

Though I do know someone, early 40's... thin as a rail... gets lots of exercise... eats fairly well... had yet has had trouble his entire life controlling it... (yes he's had it since being a teen). He has to check his several times a day as a result.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 06:04 AM
    Hypertension, high blood pressure is not uncommon, shonta. Normally controlled with meds, diet and a walking regime will do the trick. My BP is controlled very easily at 120/40' out of the stroke range. Yours will be okay with proper doctor care.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 06:06 AM
    Their blood pressure is almost twice what it should be......no diet will fix their problem...though diet and exercise will help people that are near borderline.
    Foods alone will not fix the problem but many people unknowingly contribute to making their health worse by eating all the wrong foods and not the right food.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Foods alone will not fix the problem but many people unknowingly contribute to making their health worse by eating all the wrong foods and not the right food.
    If you notice the last part of the quote you referenced by me... I actually said that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypertension [ 0 Answers ]

I have hypertension and last night my blood pressure bottomed out.I have also been sick for over a week with a bad cold.My daughter had 911 respond when I blacked out.Against their advice I didn't go to the er.What should I do now?

Hypertension [ 5 Answers ]

Does getting an intravenious injection of fluids raise your blood pressure and is it safe when you are already being treated for hypertension?

What is term sounds like baybile hypertension? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the correct term or adjective that sounds like "baybile" hypertension?

Hypertension medicines [ 1 Answers ]

How to control hypertension. What are the medicines and what are the side effects.

Hypertension [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 26 and have had high blood pressure for 11 years. Does anyone know natural cures so I could cut down or eliminate medication. I exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke and am not overweight.

View more questions Search