Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tricia23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
    No water
    My water heater is empty.. I don't kniw what to do to fill it up? When I turn the top valve no water comes out.. what should I do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
    Hi Tricia

Hmm, so many questions here... ;)

Why is your water heater empty?

How long has the water heater been empty?

Do you have a gas or an electric water heater?

Do you have city/town water supply or a well?

Is cold water going to all fixtures in the home?

Did you check further back on the cold water pipe to see if there is another shut off valve that may need to be opened? If not, check that.

Start there... post back with answers/results/thoughts, OK?

Mark

PS: Please try to answer ALL my questions... thank you.
    tricia23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Okay well I just bought the house so I don't know why its empty. I have city water, and the water heater is electric. Yes cold water is working in all other faucets and I haven't tried to mess with any valves because I don't know what I'm doing.. I tried flipping the breaker and there is a flat switch on top of the water heater, when I lift it I can hear water running but I don't know if I am filling up or emptying the water heater.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
    there is a flat switch on top of the water heater, when I lift it I can hear water running but I don't know if I am filling up or emptying the water heater.
    That indicates water is going into the water heater.

Turn off breaker.
    Open hot water faucet and wait.
    When water comes out, turn on breaker..
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Open a hot faucet in the tub or shower and see if air comes out. If it does, leave it open until a good stream of water come out, this will happen when the tank is completely full of water. Now the bad news. If you turned the breaker on to the water heater and it was not completely full of water, you will have burned out the top element. So before I even filled the water heater, I would shut the water inlet valve off, check both top and bottom elements, replace one or both elements, then fill the heater, and turn the power on. Should be all set after that. Not to be smart, but if you don't feel you know what you are doing, or don't feel comfortable messing with this, I would suggest contacting a friend that can handle it, or even a plumber shouldn't be to bad to get this taken care of. Good luck, and please let us know how things turn out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tap water smelling foul, found dead lizard water tank, we have been using same water [ 1 Answers ]

Tap water smelt foul in the house, the smell was faint and we kept using the water for a week for drinking, cooking and bathing. When the smell became discernible we got the water tank cleaned and found a dead garden lizard in it.Water tank cleaned with bleaching powder As yet feel no symptoms...

Have GE refrig; water leaks from smart water filter inside; get water;makes no ice? [ 0 Answers ]

Water does come out of the water dispenser with no problem. The Smart Water filter overflows INSIDE the refrigerator. No ice is being made. Heavy frost accumulates inside freezer from ice maker.

Have GE refrig; water leaks from smart water filter inside; get water;makes no ice [ 0 Answers ]

Water leaks inside refrig from one shelf to another; able to get water from water dispenser; no ice is being made; ice accumulates inside the freezer ice maker.

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

View more questions Search