Ask
    petee352 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Direct burial aluminum wire is it approved by ul
    Is 250mcm direct burial cable alum for 12 1000w mh lights.200a service
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
    If its approved by UL it will have UL approved and a date on the lableing.

But that has nothing to do with how and where its used or what code allows in a situation.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 12:55 PM
    First things first, how did you arrive at the 250 kcmil size cable?

Aluminum cable of the proper type insulation is approved for direct burial by the NEC. At 240 Vac you would only need 50Amps to supply 12000 Watts. That would fall out to be a Size #4 AWG cable.

At 120 Vac, the needed amperage would be 100 amps. Which falls out to be a 1/0 AWG conductor.

Now there are lots of other items to be concerned with such as the ambient temperature of your area. Adjustment and Correction factors based on the number of conductors and the heat generated by these un-grounded conductors. Voltage drop may or may not be a factor given the unknown distance (Voltage drop is only a recommendation by the NEC, it is not code enforceable).
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 03:24 PM
    Where is this installation going?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Sep 1, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Maybe he got some of this wire for free?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Burial Electrical Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I am hooking up electric to my new modular home in Oklahoma and will be direct burying the wire from the pole to the meter at the house. What type of wire do I need?

Direct Burial Electrical Wire [ 6 Answers ]

I want to run wire underground over 2000ft. What size do I need?

Direct burial electrical wire? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to run a 50amp circuit or sub-panel 400 ft to a barn/pottery studio which could supply both 220 and 110v power, to be used to run lights, heat and kilns. What size direct burial wire would I need?

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire? [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire coming from a 200amp. Service? Any info. Would be appreciated. Regards, Garry

14 gauge direct burial wire [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can use direct burial 14 gauge wire from my garage about 10 feet to a new gfci outlet which I will drill through the brick to be on the outside of the wall of the garage to the outside? The garage has no drywall just going to run it through the studs

View more questions Search