Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trishan Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 04:14 AM
    The moon, and why clouds clear around it
    I used to do a paper route at 4 AM in the morning, and a few times I saw a complete clearing of the clouds around the moon... a perfect circle. I've been told that when you see this, that it meant rain. What really does it mean and what causes this??
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 04:23 AM
    What you describe is not what it seems. It's just a coincidence. The moon cannot affect where clouds are... especially considering that what you saw would not be seen by someone, say, a mile or a few miles, from you.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Yep, just another case of the human mind being far too good at what it does: finding extraordinariness in the coincidental.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Yep, just another case of the human mind being far too good at what it does: finding extraordinariness in the coincidental.
    And, as an added discussion on this, we tend to remember the positive coincidences, and forget the negative ones.

So we notice when our birthday falls on the same day as someone else's in the same room (positive coincidence) but we don't make note of the much more common coincidence that our birthdays differ.

We notice all the times we sleep with our windows open and catch a cold within the next few days (negative effects, but a positive coincidence) but we don't remember all the times that we slept with the window open and didn't catch a cold.

Your mind plays tricks on you all the time. How many times have you looked at the moon and seen clouds obscuring it? Thousands, probably. Now, how many times have you seen the circle of clouds that you're describing? A dozen, maybe a few dozen at most? Yet it's this that you remember, not the fact that most of the time, the clouds have nothing to do with the moon.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Actually, you might all be jumping on a common band wagon that does not apply here. I think what mat be happening isn't that the clouds are actually cleared around the moon, but only that they appear to be. When the moon shines through thin, wispy clouds what you will perceive from the ground is the moon surrounded by a circle of clouds. I think what happens is that the refraction of the moonlight off the water particles causes the appearance of a rather bright halo, and so the clouds outside of that hale appear extra dark, which compounds the illusion that the clouds have cleared precisley where the moon is. The same effect occurs when you look at a streetlamp on a foggy night.

May 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
    And yet, still, ebaines, the fact that it is noticed and remembered is nothing but a coincidence. And our brains like coincidences. They help us find order in our worlds. It doesn't matter what the actual reason for the cloud/moon interplay is, it's really only interesting to note that the human brain remembers it (probably because it looks "out of the ordinary") and then we forget all the times that it didn't happen and tend to think of it as a common occurrence.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Techsupport, thank you for your input, I think you might like to read this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/psychi...1-a-65452.html.

It deals with a similar topic.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 11:50 AM
    TechSupport - I am not disputing what you have said - the fact that people tend to remember coincidences especially well is not the issue. All I was trying to point out is that there is a physical mechanism that can cause the phenomenon that trishan asked about. Further, depending on where you live the conditions that make this happen can occur quite frequently, and so his observation may not due to any "coincidence" as RickJ and subsequent posters alluded.

May 3, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    TechSupport - I am not disputing what you have said - the fact that people tend to remember coincidences especially well is not the issue. All I was trying to point out is that there is a physical mechanism that can cause the phenomenon that trishan asked about. Further, depending on where you live the conditions that make this happen can occur quite frequently, and so his observation may not due to any "coincidence" as RickJ and subsequent posters alluded.
    True. And I think that you'll find that walking a mile down the street will pretty much change whatever your view of the moon is, unless it's a fairly cloudless night, in which case you wouldn't see the "moon/cloud circle" in the first place.

Also, Capuchin, thanks for the "further reading" link.

The fact that human minds constantly seek to find order in an otherwise chaotic world of millions of bits of information constantly intrigues me. We see things that have no bearing on each other and link them as omens or portents or good luck signs when they are nothing more than random things that share a common element that our brain picks up on.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
    I do remember something about these ring or rings. Seen many times, I believe it was the moisture, and if the circle or circles(2 most I ever saw)increased in diameter, the weather was getting better. Smaller, it getteing worse. Or Viceversa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did we go to the Moon? [ 9 Answers ]

I have this debate a lot. I really hope we did go to the moon but I don't know. What do you think?

Second on the moon? [ 8 Answers ]

Which country do you people think will put a man on the moon next? Russia China India European Space Agency Iraq

Clear bra [ 1 Answers ]

Hello pretty lady, I thought since you are a model you could help me with this, I am looking for clear back bra, I do not want to wear the one you put on the breasts, I want to add padding that is why I need to wear a full bra and then insert the silicon , my dress is backless Thank you for your...

Rain clouds [ 8 Answers ]

Why rain clouds are black? Clouds temperature is below 0 degree celsius. When Ice temperature is below 0 , that canot Penetrate light .

View more questions Search