Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iLuvMusic44444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
    Is It Normal For Babies To Not Cry At Birth?
    I was wondering because I was one of them. I had a friend who told me that its not normal and also told me when she was born she didn't cry either so the doctors were hitting her bottom trying to make her cry. That didn't happen to me when I was born! I don't know if it's true because she's not a doctor. And she also said babies who don't cry at birth become shy and don't talk a lot? Is this true?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 02:35 PM
    My 1st did not cry. She looked up toward the lights, then she looked at the doctor. After that she looked at her dad and smiled.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
    They just want the baby to clear his airway if need be, to be sure his lungs are working.
    I highly doubt that anyone will ever find a meaningful correlation between not crying and shyness.
    One or two have a baby turn out to be not talkative, and an old wives tale is born.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
    My first baby cried loud enough to wake the dead and has never been outgoing and social.

I've also heard that girl babies cry at birth and boys don't (because boys are supposed to be tough?). Like Joy said, it doesn't take much to create an old wives' tale.

Our busy L&D nurse on this site could probably keep you up all night with stories about new babies she's delivered.
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Got to laugh at both stories from nohelp and WG.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
    I deliver at least 2 babies a night on my shift. Sometimes as many as 6. Probably about half of them don't cry at birth.

It has nothing to do with shyness when they grow up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I deliver at least 2 babies a night on my shift. Sometimes as many as 6. Probably about half of them don't cry at birth.
    I thought that a baby was induced to cry to make sure their lungs were clear or am I mistaken?
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Yes, they are stimulated at birth. We rub their backs, roll them around, tickle their feet, etc. We do NOT spank their bottoms. We do this to clear the lungs of amniotic fluid. However, some babies are just content to look around and gather their surroundings. Some just don't cry and are just as healthy as those that do.

It really worries parents when they don't cry though.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
    After that she looked at her dad and smiled.
    That's interesting as newborn babies do not have the ability for a real smile for at least the first few weeks.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 06:13 PM
    My daughter was amazingly different as a baby. My grandson is too.
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
    I would be tempted to say that they might grow up to be contented, pleasant people. I mean really, after what they just went through?
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    My daughter was amazingly different as a baby. My grandson is too.
    For example, I gave her crayons at 20 months and she colored in the lines. She was drawing in perspective (thats around a 6th to 8th grade art level) when she was 6 years old. Her art talent she never learned beyond the average school taught art, its pure talent.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Newborns are not physically capable of a meaningful smile for the first few weeks after birth.

Yes, they give you something that resembles a smile, but it's not a meaningful smile.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 07:02 PM
    Yeah it was a baby type smile. Sort of like the open mouth goo goo baby giggle type thing.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Okay. My knowledge and education of human anatomy and development, primarily neonates, does not agree with you though.

Sort of like the open mouth goo goo baby giggle type thing.
    A developmental milestone that occurs at 2-3 months of age. Not birth.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 07:14 PM
    It was sort of like this but her eyes were wide open
    so happy newborn
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 07:15 PM
    And that's not a newborn. That baby is a few weeks old, at least.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
    Anyway, this is a about babies not crying at birth.

Yes, it is common, and there is usually nothing wrong with it as long as they have good color, tone, and activity.

Heartbeat, oxygen levels, and skin color are what determines whether that non-crying baby needs intervention or not.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2013, 07:21 PM
    I know but it was as close a picture as I could find. She didn't cry and she was rather shy but I don't think it had anything to do with not crying at birth. On that test score they did when she was born she scored all top scores. APGAR
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 07:25 PM
    Back to the OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Babies dads name is not on the birth certificate but his last name is on the baby [ 3 Answers ]

My baby is due in about 5 weeks and I need to know if I put the babies dads last name on my baby but I don't put him down for the father and leave it unknown could he still fight for custody of my baby? We were never married and we don't live in the same state right now. But I need to know the...

Babies head down facing back,normal? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm pushing 26 Weeks pregnant with twins and at my last appointment the ultrasound lady told me both babies were head down facing back as apposed to the way they normally lay which was always the boy laying with his head under my ribs and feet down and the girl laying high horizontal at the top of...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

View more questions Search