Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AgileGuy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Taxes for F1 student worked in CPT & OPT
    I am an Indian student worked full time during CPT(Curricular Practical Training) and OPT for almost an year. I worked as an independent contractor for the entire time. I made around $97,000 which is now reported on the 1099-misc form. I will be filing 1040NR and Schedule C. I have also incurred expenses of around $14,000 in car, food and travel. Now my question is can I claim itemized deduction of $5,150 and a standard exemption of $3,300(for f1 student under tax treaty) + the expenses under schedule C.

Am I in a legal situation with regards to filing taxes or should I have worked on W2 for the entire time?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Yes, you CAN claim the Standard Deduction of $5,150 (as allowed under the U.S.-India Income Tax Treaty) and your $3,300 personal exemption, PLUS claim the expenses allowed on Schedule C as a direct deduction off your $97,000 income documented on the Form 1099-MISC. There is nothing illegal about these deductions.

Now, visa law seems to say that paying a student on CPT as an independent contractor is not allowed, but YOU have control over that. That violation of the visa laws rests with the employer. You are merely claiming the deductions allowed under the INternal Revenue Code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Information on taxes : Student on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am currently on OPT (10-01-2006 to 09-30-2007) working in NJ. I need to know what tax deductions (percent of my monthly pay) should I expect? Also am I supposed to pay NJ SDI and NJ SUI taxes (I don't even know what this is)? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. Best...

F-1 to cpt to opt- two w-2's & 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi *Indian Citizen I am on F-1 and got CPT in Summer 2005 (May05-AUG05) and am on OPT since OCT05. I have a W-2 from school from Jan 05 to May 05, a 1099-MISC from May 05 - Aug 05(my internship/CPT) and another W-2 for the rest of 2005 from my employer(OPT). I am trying to figure out...

Worked as CPT & OPT for 2005... Forms to file [ 1 Answers ]

Hi In 2005 I was working as CPT and then OPT for a consulting firm. As I workded as CPT & OPT I should be considered as Non-Residient Alien. On the basis whether I can file following deduction: 1) medical expenses as itemized deduction (In Publication 519 it is not mention that medical expense...

Cpt+opt taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for you reply. This is in continuation of my previous question. My federal witholding from my first employer is 1463.18 , wages shown in box 1 is 13,650 And from my second employer is 958(federal witholding) And my wages in box 1 is 7,500 I would like to know how much returns I can...

6th Year F-1 CPT Claim SS & Medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 6th year F-1 student from China. I am doing a summer internship at a company this summer. They withheld SS & MediCare taxes from my paycheck. I am not sure if I am subject to such taxes since I am considered a RA for tax purpose after my 5th F-1 year. If I am not subject to such taxes, which...

View more questions Search