Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heeya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Should coil be replaced when AC is replaced?
    I have an old 3 ton AC unit on the roof. My house is about 1750 sq ft. Last year, the AC unit stopped working. It could never cool the house down once temperature shoots above 80. I had an AC company come by and added refrigerant thinking that's the problem. It seemed to get worse after the refrigerant was added. Now I have a quote from an AC company for a new AC unit and the cost of replacement is about $3000 which I think is reasonable. He also said if I replace the coil inside my furnace, I would get better efficiency from the new unit. Is that necessary? Do I have to replace the coil along with the AC unit? The AC unit is about 40 years old. The coil may only be 20 years old. Thanks!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
    Today the minimum efficiency you can buy is 13 SEER. Yes, you need to replace the coil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced thermostat - now no hear or a/c! [ 10 Answers ]

My 15-yr old thermostat has weird programming quirks that I got tired of so I bought a new one and installed it. I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and am quite sure that the wiring was correct. However, when I turned the breakers in my main house breaker panel back on neither...

Replaced transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I had to replace the transformer on my furnace, the little switch beside the fan the on and auto was damaged too I couldn't find one so the man I got the transformer from said to just by pass it and tap it off,, well when I cut the air on ,the fan will come on automatic,, when I cut the heat on...

Replaced thermostat - no heat or a/c [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I have an Amana a/c with gas heat Took out my old Honeywell T8195 thermostat to replace with the Lux TX1500 Wired it up as follows (Lux - color - Honeywell) RH - Red - R RC - connected to RH terminal G - Green - G Y - Yellow - Y

No power after thermostat replaced [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... I know better... but since I was dealing with low voltage... I figured no harm... WRONG! :eek: I should have turned off the breaker when replacing my thermostat... enough said. I replaced my thermostat (simple comfort 3001) with a honeywell RTH6300b because the simple comfort display was...

Replaced sewage pump [ 2 Answers ]

Please tell me its going to be ok… I found my pump for the septic was bad . It would keep popping the circuit breaker. The tank it was in looks 4 feet wide and 7 feet deep. I would say it had 4 feet of water. I am guessing but I would say the pump was out for at least 2 weeks. After I replaced it...

View more questions Search