Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JustinMDavis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
    Inguinal Hernia questions
    I was recently diagnosed with a right iguinal hernia late last month and am scheduled for open repair hernia surgery at the end of this month. I am very scared about it and need some help in answering these questions:
    1. Has anyone ever died during one of these surgeries? If so, what can be done to lower the risk of that?
    2. Is it scary to be put under for this procedure?
    3. How much pain are you in afterwards?
    4. Are there any non-Addictive pain meds the doctor could prescribe to me?
    5. How do you manage to mentally overcome being afraid of having this surgery?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 03:13 AM
    This surgery is in and out procedure, no pain involved and it is done quite often. No it isn't scary to be put under for this, it is the best sleep you will ever have!

No pain afterward, but everyone has different levels of pain. Yes, if you ask your doctor he will give you a non addictive pain medication, usually tylenol 3.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 07:23 AM
    I was recently diagnosed with a right iguinal hernia late last month and am scheduled for open repair hernia surgery at the end of this month. I am very scared about it and need some help in answering these questions:
    1. Has anyone ever died during one of these surgeries? If so, what can be done to lower the risk of that?
    Probably. What is the mortality rate? Sub-percentile. You can't really do anything about this.
    It is scary to be put under for ANY procedure in my opinion. Sometimes the anaesthetic can be brutal.
    Some. You'll have good pain killers for it while it does the initial healing. The over the counter for a bit while everything finishes up.
    Yes.
    This is a fairly routine surgery. It isn't a emergency or dangerous surgery. There is precious little that can go wrong. I don't know how you deal with pain or stress but it is seriously something you have to overcome on your own.

These questions are really questions you should be asking either or attending doctor or your surgeon. A hernia is basically a bulged tissue. Like if you put your finger and stretch plastic wrap. The wrap with be taut everywhere but where it was stretched. What the surgery does is clip what has stretched and sew up the rest so it is taut everywhere.

There really isn't anything to be worried about but since you're having concerns, talk to your doctor about them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 07:51 AM
    I was recently diagnosed with a right iguinal hernia late last month and am scheduled for open repair hernia surgery at the end of this month.
    Open repair is quite different than laproscopic repair. You may be in hospital for a few days depending on how well it went.

Death is a risk for any surgery where general anesthesia is done. If you are smoker, stop smoking. If you are a drinker, stop drinking.

Are you on any medications? Some medications need to be stopped days or weeks prior to surgery of this kind.

Going under general anesthesia is scary for anyone. I've had 17 surgeries, and am nervous every time.

Pain tolerance is different for everyone. What may be uncomfortable for you may be excruciating for another person. But you will have some discomfort.

Yes, there are many. Tylenol 3 contains a narcotic called codeine, so it can be addictive. One of my favorite medications that is non-addictive that I give to my surgical patients is Toradol.

Again, everyone prepares differently. This is a routine surgery that is non-emergent. Very little can go wrong other than the possibility of post-op infection. Should that occur, you take antibiotics.

What I recommend for you is to take this list to your doctor. Your doctor knows you and your general health and can put your mind at ease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inguinal Hernia, Concieving and Normal Delivery [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has undergone inguinal hernia on both sides of abdomen. Will that cause any trouble for her in future to conceive and deliver a child? And what are the chances of having a normal child delivary? Or C section is the only way if at all possible??

Is a catheter inserted during a inguinal hernia repair surgery or is that an option [ 0 Answers ]

If they put in a catheter will they do it while I am awake or asleep the same coming out awake or asleep

How serious does my inguinal hernia sound? [ 0 Answers ]

OK I have a inguinal hernia and here lately it has been hurting real bad it hurts worse when I eat I have been very dizzy and it makes me feel like throwing up. I am supposed to see a surgeon in 2 months should I see if I can get one sooner

What does it mean when an inguinal hernia causes nausea? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an inguinal hernia and I am having dizziness feeling like I am going to vomit and I have real bad nausea is this serious

View more questions Search