Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corey4266 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Ask a human resources question
    I was just curious, I have been recently downsized at my company of 13 yrs. I have been having a very difficult time seeking employment. My resume markets myself very good and I have 2 jobs in the past 20 years.

I am wondering if companies are calling my past employer and are getting bad references? I have put out countless resumes in which about 10% of them are being answered. I have longevity, awards and experience in fields I am applying to. Could I be right, is it common practice for a prospective employer to contact my previous employer without even contacting me to begin with?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2013, 09:18 PM
    10 percent response to a resume sent out is a high average. Often it is a much lower number. Companies get maybe 200 to 500 applicants for any one job opening. Many will excellent skills also. Are you printing resume on quality paper, is the appearance very professional.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
    Ethically, companies aren't supposed to call your former employer without your permission. Including supervisors' names, phone number, and other specific work information for the various work sites will tend to invite an interviewer to make calls. If I were you, I'd keep the former employer information as vague as possible (company name, city, state).

Be sure to research and target companies you especially want to work for, call to find out the right person to whom to direct the resume and cover letter (that person's name and title should be on the cover letter and envelope), and make sure the resume reflects the job. A functional (skills-based) resume will cover all the bases so you don't have to keep revising it. And make sure the resume looks good on high-quality paper and has no typos or other misspellings.

If you send the resume and cover letter via email, make sure you follow all the instructions to the letter.

Job hunting is a full-time job all by itself, so plan to keep track of where you applied, what response you got and when, any interviews, etc. And send each interviewer a thank-you note afterwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question For a Human Resources Professional [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here's my question: Is the Human Resources person in my company required to field calls from my spouse with regards to our insurance plan or are they only required to take queries from employees? My wife understands insurance matters better than I, I'd rather she talked directly to our HR...

Ask a human resources question [ 8 Answers ]

My husband got a promotion 2 months ago, and he told his current boss he would stay for two months to help with the transition, but now they are telling him they won't let him leave for another 2-3 more months. He is very frustrated. He thought he was being more than fair. He will be making...

Ask a human resources question [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I already work for an organization in a specific capacity. However, I recently saw and responded to an ad with the same job title that I have now. The ad did not state the name of the organization only the city and state. It was not at all clear if this was my organizations' ad. I applied...

Ask a human resources question help [ 3 Answers ]

Can going back to school be used as a reason to withhold a promotion? My supervisor told me that having a small child and going back to school would take too much of my time and prevent me from working late. I wouldn't be available to work as much as the new role would require. I am currently...

Human resources [ 1 Answers ]

What are the roles of Human Resources manager in employee and industrial relationship with specific emphasis to the union and management relationship in an Organization?

View more questions Search