Ask
    welden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
    How many lumens do I need for a gymnasium
    How many 400 watts metal halide do I need for a 7500 square foot gym nasium
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2013, 04:15 AM
    ... so the number (4) is the universal answer to all the questions in the universe...

If you would like a better answer, tell us more about the geometry of the space, for example how high is the ceiling? The length x width measurements of the space? If you are in the USA you will be limited by the energy code... is this for school or your job?
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2013, 11:03 PM
    Refer publications from illumination engineers society for illumination level(lux)required for a gymnasium and calculate. If you make a mistake you may get fired so go to an illumination engineer & get trained.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2013, 04:12 AM
    or you could assume that the energy code (if you are in USA) would force you to remain somewhat conservative in the amount of light you'll be allowed to install...
    ASRAE90.1 - Gym Playing area = 1.4 va/sq ft * 7500 sq ft = 10,500 va
    10,500 va / 500 watts per fixture (assume boyfriend = 1.2) = 21 fixtures...
    Now the disclaimer - you did not give us enough information which makes anything with a variable impossible... if you follow up on your question I'm sure we could both learn something...
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2013, 04:29 AM
    Won't the height of the gym,types of surface of walls,floors etc play any role in the evaluation?
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2013, 06:21 AM
    Absolutely! An unwritten part of the disclaimer. (21 fixtures is just the maximum
    Allowed by the code regardless of other necessary considerations.)

It's a shame so many never follow up on their questions...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many lumens per square foot for a GYM [ 1 Answers ]

How many light shoul do I use for a GYM of 40 X 100 X 25 if I need 70,000 Lumenes?

Lumens or Candlepower [ 1 Answers ]

So I need to buy a new flashlight for work. I have researched several different flashlights and found that some only give you the light measurement in Candlepower and some only in Lumens. I'm looking for the brightest possible light. I've tried the conversion math from candlepower to lumens but...

Measurement to convert Lumens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to convert LUMENS (1365) to WATTS and to CANDELPOWER. Thank you, Mickey ( Captain America )

LED Flashlights: Lumens, Candlepower & lux [ 11 Answers ]

Boo hoo hoo I've lost my favorite flashlight: a 3-C 9-watt (Three 3-Watt bulbs) model that went with me everywhere. 1. Lumens, Candlepower & lux confuses the heck out of me, and 2. It seems apparent that not all 3-watt bulbs are equal. I want to stick with LED - and I prefer a 3-C or 4-C...

View more questions Search