Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kramberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
    Supplying garage with power
    I am placing my pump and water softner inside a garage and also want to supply the garage with power. I want to put in a 125 amp breaker box. I have to run it about 150' from the power pole to the garage. What size pipe and wire should I run to make sure there is no voltage drop.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
    If you are running overhead, 2/0 aluminum feeder is adequate. If you are running underground, you will have to use 4/0 because of heat considerations.
    Conduit size underground would be 2" PVC. You don't mention your location and there are certain considerations that your power provider may deem necessary. Check with them to be absolutely sure what you need to do.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 03:41 AM
    If you are running overhead, 2/0 aluminum feeder is adequate. If you are running underground, you will have to use 4/0 because of heat considerations.
    Conduit size underground would be 2" PVC.
    What?? Where are you getting these numbers from? You must have a really different code book from me.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 03:42 AM
    I have to run it about 150' from the power pole to the garage. What size pipe and wire should I run to make sure there is no voltage drop.
    What is at the power pole now as far as equipment? If it's just the meter you cannot come from that.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 03:59 AM
    Why do you want to come off the top of the power pole?

If that pole belongs to the utility company and that utility company is supplying a meter to your home, you have to supply the shed from your home's service side, not the utility's pole.

You can still choose whether you want to go overhead or below ground.

However you get there, you must supply an outside light. You must bring a 4 wire feed. And you must install a grounding system at the garage because Neutral and Ground cannot be bonded together at this feeder panelboard.

You will need to know what the Ambient temperature is for your area, prior to making any adjustments because of conduit heat. If the Ambient temperature is greater or less than 86(F) you would use NEC Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) to find the factor needed.

You also have to select the proper type insulation for your feeder cable. If you are using overhead cable, it must be capable of withstanding both the temperature and UV rays from the sun and weather conditions.

If you choose underground then you must make sure that the conductors are listed for a wet location even though they are in conduit.

Voltage drop is only a recommendation by the NEC. It is not a requirement. Typically, the NEC recommends a total drop of not more than 5%. It is further broken down to 3% on the feeder and 2% on the branch circuit.

For example, A 125 Amp panelboard would typically be loaded to 80% (100 Amps).

To get a working 100 amps, underground for a distance of 150', you will need # 1 AWG conductors for copper or #1/0 aluminum.

If you go overhead, then for copper you will need #3 AWG or # 1/0 for aluminum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

None of the power outlets on my 2004 Toyota Highlander are supplying electric current [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know more about this problem before bringing it to the dealer. The 2004 Toyota Highlander has three power outlets for things such as laptop computers and cell phones. Mine worked well until recently. Now none of them works. I checked the manual and it gave the location of one fuse...

White-rodgers 50A50-241 board not supplying power to inducer motor [ 0 Answers ]

I checked fan manually with jumper wires to plug and fan worked. Just wouldn''t work plugged in and safety switch closed on door.

Garage power [ 5 Answers ]

I recently built a garage and have a question. I have 200 amp service in my house. I ran 100 amp triplex in 2" conduit out to my 100 amp box in my garage. I don't have any extra lugs in my 200 amp panel in my basement or in my meter panel outside. What would you recommend I do to power up my...

Running power to garage and continuing the power to a cabin later. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building a garage this year and a cabin in the following years and I need to run power to the garage before building it. The service is about 60 feet away from the main breaker location and when I build the cabin, I would like to be able to continue the power from the garage to the cabin (120...

Suggestions on supplying power to mobile home? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a motorcycle and electronics repair shop (yeah, I know - what a combination, but that's a story for another time) on about an acre of land. I am having a mobile home moved in behind my shop. There is a power service pole with meter socket and breaker box already set about 20 feet away from...

View more questions Search